Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need a little help

I prefer Panda, I think it's a more thorough scan. And I could really careless about an online scan cleaning anything. I prefer manual removal. Thanks for the heads up on Trend's java scan. That's good to know.

Any OS or browser not properly configured\setup\maintained is insecure
    Tell that to Microsoft...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AOs Resident Troll
    I am sorry...

you are saying MS is the only one the releases patches....updates to thier software?????

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by brokencrow
    Tell that to Microsoft...
    Right. While I do that, you tell that to The Mozilla Foundation, Netscape, Apple, the makers of GNOME and KDE, Konqueror, and Linus.

The problem is not Microsoft. The problem is twofold:
    1. Most people completely misunderstand computer security.
    2. Failure to make use of the security that Windows operating system can provide. (How is Microsoft's fault if you fail to make use of the tools they provide?)

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

The problem is not Microsoft.
    I beg to differ. Most people will NEVER understand computer security (especially consumers), and MS has been slow to consider that fact. I think much of what we're seeing in the computer world is the result of MS's monopoly. The following .pdf is a good critique of what's going on, IMHO:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/academics/cyberinsecurity.pdf
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AOs Resident Troll
    I really take exception to people constantly blaming Microsoft for Malware...

Did MS write the malware??

Did MS host these trojan downloaders on their web site??

Does MS provide patchs, help articles, workarounds for these vulnerabiliies???

Is it Microsofts fault that people are "stupid" and "lazy"

I run IE and I dont have these programs on my machines......so it comes down to...

What is the end user doing with the infected machine?

P2P file sharing, downloading warez programs, opening email attachments, clicking on links in email, visiting questionable sites, using the administrator account to do all this, not regularly updating AV and scanning....

Should I go on.....

It is not Microsofts fault.

MLF

It is not Microsofts fault.
    Is so......jk....

[tongue in cheek]But.....the majority of the Malware writers out there are disgruntled ex MS employees and certainly know what they are exploiting...[/tongue in cheek]

[facetiously]Yes MS provides patches...long after the event has taken place....too little too late...[/facetiously]

[sigh]Yes it is MS fault that most people who buy their products haven't a clue as to how to configure the PC to their benefit (MS Defaults)...[/sigh]

As to everything else, no Microsoft is not responsible for what users do to their PC after they have purchased it, so it is down to the "user" to ensure their product is in tip top shape and bug free....and if they are too stupid to ensure they have all of the patches and a working AV and Firewall, then they deserve everything they get...which is usually a big fat bill for the cleanup....lol
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AOs Resident Troll
    While catching up on my reading I came across this article by Kaspersky Labs

http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=184012401

in regards to Malware Evolutions and the new trends of malware writers

The near future may well bring a range of malicious programs created on the principle “If changes to the configuration of the operating system modules are monitored, then we will modify the modules themselves”. This is an approach which has long since been used by virus writers in creating rootkits for UNIX.
    This is interesting....these types of threats have been around for ages...and with other OSes...and the only way to protect your self is to keep updated and patch your systems...no matter what OS or browser you are running....

and this...hardware

However, SubVirt, when taken together with eEye’s BootRoot, signal the dawn of an era when users will need hardware protection.

and this MAC

The potential popularity and consistent growth of future versions of MacOS didn’t just attract the attention of IT professionals and users, but naturally also of virus writers and hackers around the world.

and cell phones

The problem of mobile malware is intensifying by the day. In 2005 there was a steady trickle of Trojans designed to infect mobile devices running Symbian;

My point....

Its not Microsofts fault .

Its crimminals trying to take advantage of people......where ever they can find a way to.

So people...you might as well get used to patching\securing and maintaining ANYTHING that has software

My .02 cdn

MLF

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by brokencrow
    I beg to differ. Most people will NEVER understand computer security (especially consumers), and MS has been slow to consider that fact. I think much of what we're seeing in the computer world is the result of MS's monopoly. The following .pdf is a good critique of what's going on, IMHO:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/academics/cyberinsecurity.pdf
    What happens then when cross-platform viruses become more common and attack the top three desktop systems instead of just the top one? What you're advocating is security through being a minority, which really isn't security at all.

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Ok well sorry i didn't post my results but been real busy with work. Long story short nothing i tried to use in safe mode would finish running except the one scan i mentioned. Basically i said screw it, lysoled my drive and reinstalled windows. Luckily i keep everything important to me on an external so data loss was almost nill. thanks for all your guys help yet again.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin