Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem With GeForce 5200 Graphics Card

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Problem With GeForce 5200 Graphics Card

Hi gals/guys

I have purchased a new Graphics card (GeForce 5200 PCI card the one with 128 MB memory), the reason for purchasing the card is my brother wants to play some 3D games...... Now let me first tell you about the BOX in which i have installed this card.

Its 3.0 GHz Intel Processor with 1 MB Cache (HT Technology)
    Intel 915 GVLG M/B
    256 DDR
    LAN/VGA/Sound card (Built-in)

Now I deleted the builtin VGA driver and restarted computer and then I put the external graphics card in it, when I insert the CD (Auto-run) of that graphics card it gives me error message "No GeForce Card found" ..... I thought may be the driver is outdated... so i manually browse the CD and installed the driver........

Rather than getting better graphics result i got worst result then before...... even games which were running perfectly alright eariler were not working properly...... When i Run DirectX diagnose i could see that the AGP Texture was disable which used to be exactly like this before ...... Even in the GeForce properties i could see the OPEN GL option but it was grey (Couldn't change it settings).

I went to the website, downloaded the latest driver of the card, plus i downloaded the chipset driver of my board too. Now when i remove the previous driver and updated with the latest one i could see the AGP texture enable and running the test things were working alright...... But now the OPEN GL tab from the properties of the card is gone...... And games again worse..... Most of the games which were working alright on builtin VGA are not even working on this card....... I have too the Online support but problem still not rectified.......

I have checked from the setup (BIOS) for display external PCI card is selected........ Now it would be pleased to to know what is wrong with this card? Is it not compatible with my M/B? I am really upset after getting this Card...... and i really need help.......
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Hi,

I suspect that the card is not compatible/powerful enough for the games you are trying to play. Have you got any older games you can test it with?

Also, can you try the card in another PC, there is a possibility that it is faulty.

I did find this though in a review:

and an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. The latter is a weak link for game fans. It's powerful enough for a just barely acceptable 42.2 frames per second (fps) on our relatively forgiving 1,024x768 resolution Unreal Tournament 2003 test (60fps is the goal for ideal playability), so you can forget about playing games, new titles especially, at higher resolutions

I am experiencing problem in all the older games which used to run ok on builtin VGA...... When i run the directX test the first phase where it diagnose the Direct 3D .... i can see the box is resolving a little slow than before and even its like pausing in b/w rotation..... rest test are ok and smooth..... WHy is this so?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Here are the few options from the BIOS..... please tell are they Ok or do i need to change them....

Frame Buffer: 32MB
    IGD Aparture Size 256MB
    DVMT Both
    IGD DVMT/6 Menu (This option is greyed i cannot change it.... in order to change it I need to change the both tab from the DVMT option above.)

Hi,

Try changing the resolution and refresh rates to see if it makes much of a difference.

I would try the card in another machine, and in another slot if you have one..............is it PCI-e? or plain PCI?

I would reinstate the onboard video drivers. Use the BIOS to select.

Try turning off the sound, sometimes there are conflicts between the sound drivers and the video.

When you go into hardware and look at the video card does it tell you that the device is working properly?

When I goto the Hardware it says device is working properly...... No difference when i disable the sound card..... The default refresh rate is showing is 65.... I have changed it to 75 and 85 no much difference...... Now i will try to check this on another machine.....

Might be i am doing something wrong with the settings of this card......And yes this a plain PCI slot not an extended PCI slot..... My board has only 2 slots both PCI..... One having external sound card..... It reminds me something as i said i have a bultin sound card and i have another external sound card too although i am using it for gamin purpose only (Joystick)..... Might be this sound card making some confliction i would remove it and then i will see what difference it will make......

When i contacted the XFX Force website technical support the last solution they gave to me is try re-intalling the windows..... I am also running windows 2000 advanced server on the same machine..... I think i should try to see how does this card works on that Operating system.

What options does it give you for the frame buffer size in the BIOS?

It is currently 32Mb which sounds about right for the amount of RAM that it would share with the onboard video. See if you can set that to 128Mb which is the amount of memory on your graphics card.

I think that the IGD Aperture size is OK.

Nope i can have 8 MB, 16, 32 and 64.... no 128MB option in frame buffer....And by the way what is this IGD?

OK, please try the frame buffer at 64Mb.

IGD Is the amount of system memory that your graphics chipset can use. It isn't being used at the moment as you have a graphics card. You might as well set it to 128 whilst you are there.

Here is a useful link regarding all sorts of BIOS settings:

http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

As frame buffer is the amount of memory shared with on board VGA and i am not using onboard VGA anymore (disabled it and removed the driver) so shouldn't I select the least value for it which is 1MB....... max value is 32MB... 64 and 128 MB not available....

I have removed the external sound card and put the Graphics card in the other PCI slot, Still nothing happen...... Even changed the refresh rate and screen resolution..... Oh yes i remember when i was playing with this sitting I select the resolution 1024X786 and the monitor got hanged (all the LEDs started blinking and no display).

I will have to install a new copy of Xp in order to check it as i have forgot the windows 2000 advanced server password (as i was not using it from last 4-5 months).

Somebody suggested me that i should increase the RAM too....