linux partition failure, recover data

Thread: linux partition failure, recover data

linux partition failure, recover data

Hello. reading the topic u probably know what happend, my linux partition just stoped working... its corrupted probably.
    When linux is booting he kernel panic. What i did was, i downloaded Kurumin boot cd, and tryied to mount the partition using the Linux on cd.

but it returns errors:

when i try to do it (mount /dev/hda2 /mount/point) he returns:

ReiserFS: hda2: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
    ReiserFS: hda2: using ordered data mode
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=2057741, high=0, low=2057741, sector=2057740
    ide: failed opcode was: unkown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 2057740
    ReiserFS: hda2: warning: sh-459: unable to read journal header
    ReiserFS: hda2: warning: sh-2022: reiserfs_fill_super: unable to initialize journal space
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2,
    missing codepage or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

i've tryied using the gentoo minimal cd, but its the same.

What im doing know is:
    using the linux on cd Kurumin i have placed another hard-drive, so i have the damaged drive and the windows one.
    the damaged drive is hda2 with 35GB total space, but it should contain about 25GB to 30GB of data. the other partiton of windows only have 23GB, this could be a problem but i tryied anyway.

so after the drives are connected and the linux is booted i have downloaded dd_rescue. i mount the windows partition to /mnt/hdb2
    and i have done:
    dd_rescue /dev/hda2 /mnt/hdb2/image.dat

It started to recover, but after a while he returned that the file size had reached is limit (something like this), so i checked the /mnt/hdb2 and the file has 4.4GB and 19GB free of space. So i can't be of lack of space because the in the drive remains 19GB free space, so i guess that dd_rescue had a limit for a file.

Is there another comand(flag) that i can use for i recover most of the information?

Im trying to get a bigger hard-drive to send the recoverd files, because 23GB isn't enought, but it could recover what i want him to recover.

I don't know if i was clear on this matter, if not please post here your questions and i will try to answer the best i can.
    Thanks
    My best Regards

Hi

If you have a windows partition with the linux one i would reccomend the use of Stellar Pheonix Linux.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/

It is a GUI based tool that'll help you to see the files in the linux partition while running in windows. It will allow you to select and save the necessary data. The interface gives the exacy directory structure. However if space is a consideration try attaching a USB HDD to help.

The tool works fine and i have used it myself.

Hope it helps.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

thanks for the reply, but that program only works for Ext2 or Ext3... im using ReiserFS. i have found a very good program to recover, but its way to expensive, there is no home licence, only comercial one.