Thread: Anyone using YUM with SUSE?

Anyone using YUM with SUSE?

Hi,
    I'm currently using Fedora Core 5, but I'm thinking of installing SUSE 10.1 once it comes out. One thing I like about Fedora is how well YUM works as a package updater. I would really like to use it with SUSE instead of YAST, and I know that it is possible as of the 10.0 release. I've done some googling on the subject, and from what I've read not all the repository servers fully support YUM (Not sure, but that may not be true now). Well, anyway, has anyone been using YUM with SUSE, and if so, how well has it been working for you? What issues have you encountered? Thanks.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Good Evening,

I haven't ever used YUM, but I haven't heard anything adverse about it either. However, one concern that immediately comes to mind is SuSE Updates. I'm fairly confident you'd need Yast instead of YUM. I don't know if any harm would come about by an attempt, the SuSE Servers might say no way, and could YUM properly complete a SuSE update?

Anyway 10.1 will be here shortly so think I might install YUM as well. Let me know how it works for you.

Thanks for the idea!

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi,

I think using YUM on SUSE should be fine to install new packages, upgrade existing ones, etc. However, make sure you run YAST once in a while (no need to use its package manager) to keep your core system up to date. It might be 'safer' to use YAST to update core packages instead of YUM, and to receive important security updates.

I found this article, which should be helpful. It also shows the advantages/disadvantages of running YUM on SUSE, which is quite interesting. Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

-jk

Oh - and I thought you were the Fedora guy with the beard

[edit] AO doesn't like blogsp0t If you follow the link, replace '********'' with 'blogsp0t' (and an 'o' instead of an '0')

Oh - and I thought you were the Fedora guy with the beard
    Hmm, Yes you are right!! Decided to take you up on your invitation. Thanks. The link you posted to the article isn't working. I've tried a couple of times to link to it, and I'm getting the same result as your link. Hmm. What is this, some kind of anti-link protection? Oh well, I had already read the article, but I've got it bookmarked to use when the time comes. I will try to report my experiences at getting YUM set up and using it when the time comes. Thanks for the replies guys
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

YUM works fine on SUSE, although, you're coming from Fedora where the up2date utility sucks. I'd say use YAST. You can use it in X, or without X, or you can open a temrinal IN X, type yast, and use the text mode client. I do that when I'm updating my server over SSH.

Works fine. I don't use yum much though. If I want packages SUSE doesn't have on the CDs, I just add a web site into the YOU (Yast Online Update) area which uses YAST to install packages even if they aren't supported.

Yast has many tricks.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    YUM works fine on SUSE, although, you're coming from Fedora where the up2date utility sucks.
    Up2date has been EOLed in Fedora Core 5. Yum is the package manager exclusively. Command line and GUI versions work like a champ.

YUM, which comes from yellow dog linux (thus the snazzy littlle yellow dog icon in Xwindows), can be used in a number of distros. It's as simple as setting up your repositories and you're off and running. If you're not into this, it comes configured nicely with enough info so that you can start updating without a hitch.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden