Getting port scanned and a few questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting port scanned and a few questions

Angry Getting port scanned and a few questions

Hi I am using windows XP SP2 with sygate personal firewall, it has been reporting port scans n active response lately (a month or so)
    I am currenly on a home dial-up adsl network and I have checked my pc it's clean of virus/trojans/spywares
    Can someone explain wat happened and how exactly i get port scanned even though my ip changes everytime i dials? Is it due to software? How do i solve this problem?
    Thx!

A method an attacker uses to enumerate what services are running on your network. An attacker sends requests on different ports and takes note of which ports respond in certain way. This is how an attacker knows what attacks will work on which of your systems. Ports map to applications and applications map to attacks. We perform port scans during a Vulnerability Assessment to get the same view of your network that an attacker has, and to find evidence of an attackers presence.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

May be a skiide looking for open ports, if your protected you shouldn't worry about it....You IP may be in the range the "attacker" sets to scan....
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

Hi spellabc ,

I have a similar setup to yourself in that I dial into an ADSL link. I always turn the machine off when I go out, or at night, and will get a different IP address each time.

The ISP has a block of addresses that it allocates numbers from, and what you are probably seeing are "bots" automatically scanning within that range. In my case a lot seem to be from machines subscribed to the same ISP as well.

So long as your firewall is blocking them, you should be OK. This is just part of the internet these days.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It's internet "noise"... Ignore it...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Exactly correct. Internet white noise.

The chances that you're being targeted exlusively is slim to none. Port scanners operate around the clock on the internet. Someone is just sweeping your network range looking for low hanging fruit is all. This isn't the first nor last time you will see this.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks!

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Exactly correct. Internet white noise.

The chances that you're being targeted exlusively is slim to none. Port scanners operate around the clock on the internet. Someone is just sweeping your network range looking for low hanging fruit is all. This isn't the first nor last time you will see this.

--TH13
    So, have we coined a new word here?

Better rush over and copyright the thing. Get Wikipedia to acknowledge authorship.
    I can sense the royalties building up.

(side note: Concerning editing posts, I say.... yeah, yeah, yeah...Rarely will you see an unedited post by me. Misspellings, forgotten letters and general formatting problems is my big thing. This edit was so I could add this note and the letter "c" to the word acknowledge.)
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Sorry to dissapoint but that term has been used since the late 90s. No royalties or copyrights.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by ZT3000
    So, have we coined a new word here?

Better rush over and copyright the thing. Get Wikipedia to acknowledge authorship.
    I can sense the royalties building up.

(side note: Concerning editing posts, I say.... yeah, yeah, yeah...Rarely will you see an unedited post by me. Misspellings, forgotten letters and general formatting problems is my big thing. This edit was so I could add this note and the letter "c" to the word acknowledge.)
    That word/term is not new, much less just been coined :/

heh, I would say email the abuse login for that ip range but god knows 99% of the time nothing good comes of that...
    meh. -ech0.