Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the maximum Downloading/Uploading Speed of a DSL connection

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Whats the maximum Downloading/Uploading Speed of a DSL connection

Hi gals/guys
    I have learned during my studies that for a 128Kbps DSL connection maximum Downloading/Uploading speed one can get is around 15 Kbps..... and similarly for 256 Kbps its around 30 K or plus...... But i have observed that the current connection we are using DSL 255 Kbps CIR, we sometime hits more than 200 K and sometime 0.6 Mbps..... and normally we can get around 40+ K....... Now even if I tell that to someone with IT background they laugh at me and said its not possible... blap blap..... So I thought i should ask you folks....

One more thing..... the tool i am using to check the download/upload speed is DU meter.....
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Hi FanacooL please watch the distinction between bits and bytes (8 bits = 1 byte)

Also, a lot depends on you connection. If the server is slow then it will dictate how fast the connection is. Basically the maximum speed will be that of the slowest element.

Contention is another issue. You are sold a service of "X" capability and you share the link with 49 others. If they happen to be old ladies who use the thing for e-mail for half an hour a day then it will be close to what was claimed. If they happen to be schoolkids running P2P, downloading music, warez and God knows what, you could find that a 56.k dial up is faster.

Irrelevant to what type of service/program/software one uses utilizing that connection....what i wanna know is simple.... Is there a limitation that with a certain DSL line the max. speed you can download or upload would be something xxxx not more than that..... As in my case what i have read and heard was that you can get 30 or little more than that with 256 Kbps connection..... Is this statement true..... Then how come I am getting more than that?

All i wanna know is there a limitation or not?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Talking

Ok i just managed to find a little information at google...... for SDSL 384 KBits per second but theoritically they say its 9 MBps for Uploading and 640Kbps for downloading.....

Now atleast i can tell the folks that what we have learned and heard 30kbps is wrong.

I like Nihil's response, but since you didn't think it was relevant here is a link for testing your DSL line. http://help.sbcglobal.net/dsl/speedtest/

Also on that page is this disclaimer. Read it as it's informative.

What is throughput?
    Throughput is the amount of data moved successfully from one place (e.g., your computer) to another (e.g., any given website on the Internet) in a given time period.

What does this test measure?
    This test measures the throughput of the connection from your computer to our network location. The throughput of your DSL Internet service is based on a number of factors, including the distance between your home/office and our network location, the number of "hops" from our network location to your computer, the performance of network servers and routers, the condition of any lines between these two points, environmental factors, and your computer performance. Because many factors affect throughput, your actual experience may vary. The results of this test could be affected by a number of factors inside your home or business, and in the network.

This test checks throughput between your computer and our network to the Internet. This test does not check sync rate (the speed or capacity of the DSL connection from the Network Interface Device at your home to the DSL Access Multiplexing or Remote Gateway equipment in our network). Only a trained technician using special equipment can test the sync rate. Throughput is not necessarily an indication of sync rate.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

for SDSL 384 KBits per second but theoritically they say its 9 MBps for Uploading and 640Kbps for downloading.....
    Your numbers are wildly off.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Yes,

The maximum is what you were sold less an indeterminate amount for redundancy, inefficiency or whatever. This cannot be calculated.

If you see anything "better" than you are paying for, then your measurement tool is at fault, you are not interpreting the readings correctly (that would usually be an 8x variance), or your ISP is experimenting with faster connections.

128/8 =16 and 256/8 = 32. That is the bits/bytes difference and accounts for your values of 15 and 30, if you allow for local variations and inefficiencies.

Originally posted here by ZT3000
    Your numbers are wildly off.
    http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/definition.php?dsl

Check out this link

nihil

Ok my DU meter might be giving me fake values but wht about the mail server i can see the speed of the link there too.... although its the total speed but i have experienced that while sending total speed allocated to the emails going outside reaches around 50K plus there are other application utilizing the link...

I have run one online test and got uploading of 152 Kbps, perform the test more than once and got more or less the same speed.

As a side note:

Don't forget that most of your home broadband type of connections are asymmetric. That means that you're download and upload are going to be different speeds. 768/128 seems to be a popular "low end" aDSL package at the moment.

Many business connections are going to be sDSL or otherwise symmetric. They can achieve the same download/upload speeds.

My current cable package is 8Mbps/768Kbps. (though, I have yet to see anywhere near that)

I "upgraded" from the aDSL line when I moved into a new apartment. To be honest with you... I had a more stable connection on the 768/128 aDSL line. I received more steady speeds. Then again... aDSL is "dedicated" to you where your cable line is "shared" with your neighbors (or other people on the same segment). Maybe I'm just trying to use my connection when everyone else is. (at 5:30pm-12:00am).

I installed a 1.5Mbps sDSL line for a customer I was doing some side work for. His connection is off the hook! For only $50/month!!! Since he's using his connection mostly for downloading, he let me put a small server on his network for my "offsite backups" and misc. use.

NOTE: It looks as if "asymmetric " & "asynchronous" -- "symetric" and "synchronous" are used interchangably? I recall learning it as asynchronous... had to do with the clock?

From webopedia:

Short for asymmetric digital subscriber line, a new technology that allows more data to be sent over existing copper telephone lines (POTS). ADSL supports data rates of from 1.5 to 9 Mbps when receiving data (known as the downstream rate) and from 16 to 640 Kbps when sending data (known as the upstream rate).
    So, you're numbers are a bit backwards. Up to 9Mbps wile DOWNLOADING and up to 640Kbps while UPLOADING.

SDSL is different.

Short for symmetric digital subscriber line, a technology that allows more data to be sent over existing copper telephone lines (POTS). SDSL supports data rates up to 3 Mbps.

SDSL requires a special SDSL modem. SDSL is called symmetric because it supports the same data rates for upstream and downstream traffic. A similar technology that supports different data rates for upstream and downstream data is called asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL). ADSL is more popular in North America, whereas SDSL is being developed primarily in Europe.
    http://www.webopedia.com/

You'll also read in the contracts or service agreements that numbers are not guaranteed. That is just potential.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

This is a business Connection... also i was checking with the backup line we have .... that one is ADSL 128K shared.... and speed i get on that line is around 15-20 but sometimes do reach to 35K.