Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the maximum Downloading/Uploading Speed of a DSL connection

Hi FanacooL , I really cannot comment on what will happen when you have multiple applications using the link. It would depend on their resource sharing rules.

The online tests that I have seen usually expect to be the only connection and calculate speeds based on sending a fixed amount of data.

You must be careful of the bits/bytes distinction and appreciate that the route will have an effect (how many hops). When you see a file being transferred you usually see the BYTES value not the bits one which is 8 times greater.

When I first got ADSL it was 512/256 download/upload. They subsequently increased the download speed to 2.2Mbps and I think that the upload is now 512Kbps.

Another thing you might consider is your security arrangements. If you are scanning all downloaded content for malware that could slow you down somewhat, particularly with e-mail.

I would expect your tools to report what they have measured, but those values may have been distorted by other factors?

Banned
    Since the title of the thread asks about the maximum speed of DSL (and not ADSL or SDSL): it's somewhere around 250Mbps (with VDSL).

You mentioned that the CIR is 255Kbps .

That is the committed information rate. That means that you're connection should not go lower than 255Kbps, however, it can sometimes burst higher.

I've seen CIR mostly referred to when talking about frame relay...

I have a 384Kbps frame relay circuit that connects a remote sites of mine. The CIR is 256Kbps but it can burst up to 384Kbps. We are not guaranteed 384Kbps all the time...

http://www.linktionary.com/c/cir.html
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Whats VDSL...
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

phishphreek80 I think its DSL not frame relay...
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Originally posted here by FanacooL
    Whats VDSL...
    *cough* google *cough*

http://www.howstuffworks.com/vdsl.htm/printable
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by FanacooL
    phishphreek80 I think its DSL not frame relay...
    Thats why I was surprised you put 255Kbps CIR...
    I take it you got that from your contract? Marketing materials?

Yeap obviously its from the contract..... and they might not be bluffing here as if there were offering frame relay it could be very expensive then wht we are currently giving them.

Also, I think nihil was trying to point this out to you but you didn't catch it?

Kbps is different than KBps

Your DSL line is rated in kilobits per second. As where your download speeds are most likely reading in kilobytes per second.

http://www.xo.com/products/smallgrow.../kilobits.html

No buddy it cannot be like this... i disagree...... Because DU meter shows downloading / Uploading speed in Kilobits can't be bytes..... cause that means i m getting 200 kilo bytes per second..... and sometime 0.6 Mega Bytes per second.