Suse 10.0 Recover / Uninstall

Thread: Suse 10.0 Recover / Uninstall

Suse 10.0 Recover / Uninstall

Hi

I am starting a new thread for an old problem i had because there are new developments to be listed and more questions to be asked.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...709#post893709

I have a full install of suse 10.0 but it doesnt work anymore.

Initially it all started when i placed an old NVidia Rage 128 Ultra Graphics Card into my computer and started suse. The screen was always stuck at the login prompt. In the case of correct pass it returned back to login and in the case of incorrect one it wont let me in.

Now i wish to use the system without the graphics card forever. I donot wish to use any other graphics card too.

Now on the suggestions by many users here and random searches this is what i did

1) I ran sax2 and set my graphics to original values. sax successfully detected my original monitor and default graphics memory when i had removed the graphics card. Setting to default didnt work.

2) On the suggestion of someone i removed .kde folder from the root and rebooted. Same result.

3) Now i used the sax command once more with the reconfigure options and lower mode ortions. Same result.

4) Judging from the fact that i had a full install of suse 10.0 i concluded that the problem was related to graphics i tried reconfiguring X.
    i used xorgconfig
    Here i used the default options for mouse and keyboard and used the generic S3 savage driver for graphics as i have s3 pro savage graphics on my HP Brio BA410 PC (2001 make with 8mb graphics memory)

Now the blunder was that i did was that i didnt copied the xorg file. So now when i configured it the gui screen that used to come for entering the password didnt appeared again and my X got corrupted. The error was that it wasnt able to detect the mouse and the keyboard devices. The thing is that i used the default options for them and they are taken as not working.

5) I put the installation disk in and try to repair this thing but it showed some packages missing. Well i was amazed as i did an install everything at the time of install. I installed them but there was no option whatsoever for the reconfiguration of X. So it didnt help.

6) I tried to do a minimum gui install over the same partition so that i can add packages needed later but was unable to select the same partition without reformatting it when it is already in ext2 and the install was showing a install of 23mb instead of 2GB which i remember i saw earlier in minimum install for KDE. I smelled something fishy and decided not to do it.

So now i have a full install of suse that doesnt work except for the cui part.

What i want is a way to setup my X again so that i can work with it. If the error is not of X then please correct me and show the right way.

Other than that i have a windows partiton with it on same HDD in different partition which is very important and has vital data. I donot wish to lose it at any cost. Transferring the data is very difficult but the overhead of installing every software on windows again is very large. I want it to remain intact.

I request the geniuses of this forum to sort out the trouble so that i dont have to reinstall linux. Otherwise if the situation is at an irrepareable state please guide me to a safe removal of SuSE as the bootloader is GRUB of suse. I want the XP intact. Please tell me how to uninstall anyway along with the solution to reconfigure X.

I also have Fedora Core 3 Cd's. I havent tried it yet and would like to give it a shot. Is Fedora better and worth to remove Suse and try it. I'm asking only for an opinion on Suse vs Fedora.

I' m not sure if you're still in India, but I know the SUSE there doesn't have manuals, however you speak pretty good English, so I highly recommend you sit down one day and read the manuals inside Linux, from front to back.

I've looked over some of your problems and it seems mostly to be hardware, or user based, mainly stuff you can fix but it would take some time.

And Fedora, I can't tell you enough not to tough it, it's a horribly unstable distro. (You asked for a SUSE VS Fedora )

Hi

Can you please be specific about

Here i used the default options for mouse and keyboard and used the generic S3 savage driver for graphics as i have s3 pro savage graphics on my HP Brio BA410 PC (2001 make with 8mb graphics memory)
    The thing is that i used the default options for them and they are taken as not working.

5) I put the installation disk in and try to repair this thing but it showed some packages missing. Well i was amazed as i did an install everything at the time of install.
    6) I tried to do a minimum gui install over the same partition so that i can add packages needed later but was unable to select the same partition without reformatting it when it is already in ext2 and the install was showing a install of 23mb instead of 2GB which i remember i saw earlier in minimum install for KDE.