MRxSMB errors

Thread: MRxSMB errors

Cool MRxSMB errors

Here's a current problem, I'd like some thoughts on:

A client's Dell workstation with XP Home has the MRxSMB error that can and does affect sharing files over their local network.
    It causes corruption of networked Peachtree data and seems that the disk writes are not getting completely posted.
    (Don't ask why they have XP Home in a network of 5 computers as I'm their NEW computer guy. Wonder why?)
    The problem comes and goes, mostly coming these days. See the link below.

So far to resolve it, I have:
    Ran diagnostics on all network cabling and have installed new switches (since they ran Hubs, yecch).
    Shutoff all "allow windows to control power to this device" options in any device in device manager.
    I re-asserted the folder rights just in case. (turning off read only, etc)
    I turned off all Master browser elections and made this machine the Master. Everyone else shuts UP! (thank god).
    I've done a bunch of other stuff, can't remember what, no time to check my notes.

What I have not done: (I'd rather see what you guys come up with)
    Reinstall the motherboard network card driver.
    Turn off the network card completely and install a REAL network card.
    Rebuild the TCP/IP stack.
    Moved Peachtree data to another machine (trust me, I would have done it, but you gotta know this client...)

This problem cropped up unexpectantly in January of this year. In Jan, there was one entry in event log, in Feb there was about 3 entries, in Mar there was a small slew of them, in April they seem to be multiplying.

Any ideas? (I was thinking a tribble might be stuck in there somewhere.)
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Is there a domain involved? Because XP Home won't play with a domain... Someone may have been lucky getting it to play at all and now it is beginning to fail on you. That's my first thought.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

My bad!!

This machine is an XP Pro with SP2 installed, the other 4 machines are XP Home.

This is a regular ol' workgroup, simply sharing files from this XP Pro machine.
    ZT3000

This error message is only informational. You can safely ignore it.
    Source

The event can occur in any of the following situations:

The first time that you connect to a mapped drive after you log on.
    The first time that you connect to the mapped drive after the computer resumes from Hibernation mode.
    The first time that you use a local network share after your computer is automatically disconnected from the mapped drive by using the autodisconnect feature.
    Looks to me like someone has changed things on the client side...
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I had read that MS explanation before but since you posted it, I thought I would look at each item in more detail.

Despite what MS says about it being okay, it's corrupting our data. I've matched the timestamp of each error message with the time the client starts getting problems.

Seems Peachtree has corruption issues when used over a network, despite being multi-user aware. Google reveals other people with similar issues in a similar situation.

My guesstimate at this time is that Peachtree cannot handle when the autodisconnect occurs and it corrupts the data by leaving a previous network session -open-.
    Time will tell though.
    In the mean time, I've increased the timeout for autodisconnect to 2 hours.
    ZT3000

Then, to be honest, I'd look to peachtree being the issue... But we both know that they will blame it on MS... It's the nature of the business...