Saying Goodbye to Win 95
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying Goodbye to Win 95

Saying Goodbye to Win 95

Well it's official.......

Saying Good-Bye to Windows 9x

Slamming the Door on the First Age of PCs
    04/14/2006 by Rob Enderle

Microsoft is pulling the plug on Window 9x about 5 years after the product had become obsolete. I started as an analyst with Dataquest in the same year as this product and was there for its launch. It was an amazing time, the skies actually matched the clouds on the box on one of the rare dry days in Seattle on launch day. The excitement for those of us flown in and at a number of remote sites around the world was the most similar to an Apple event I have ever seen and vastly larger then anything Apple has ever done.

At the event they had music from the Stones and Jay Leno on stage. One very memorable moment was when they brought up the development team to the cheers of what appeared to be an adoring crowd. The environment was intentionally designed to look like a circus and there were vendors providing free popcorn, drinks, and sweets using circus like carts around the event. In the smaller tents there were demonstrations of technology, new games, and excited vendors clearly convinced this was the beginning of a golden age.

Millions of copies of Windows 95 were pre-sold and there were lines around the block with people waiting to buy the product on the day of launch. Who would have known that this was probably the highest point, in terms of interest and excitement that any Microsoft product, including Windows, would reach in two decades. Even the Xbox 360 launch, which was clearly very powerful, didn’t match the magic and power of Windows 95. If only the follow through had been as amazing.

Some times tone is set at the outset and while the launch for Windows was amazing what came after was not and this is a good lesson for anyone doing a large product launch.

In Microsoft’s case they didn’t have a plan to do sustaining marketing and support. After the product was launched, a lot of people that knew the product went on long, and likely well deserved, vacations. Unfortunately when you are selling millions of technical products to millions of non-technical people small percentages of issues result in massive numbers of problems and most of the people that could have helped were gone when they were most needed.

This was made much worse when the person running Windows support decided that the wait times for people wanting support were getting too long and so busied out the lines. This resulted in a massive, unmonitored, increase in dissatisfied Windows users.

Sales volume, after the first week, dropped off a cliff.

The busy out the lines thing was an old IBM trick I ran into while I worked at IBM to manage metrics. The service managers were measured on wait times and by busing out the lines you could lower the reported wait times, of course the trade off was you really pissed of clients but that, apparently, was almost never captured.

As a result, as we exited 1995 Windows 95 had gone from an iPod like product to an Edsel like product because the customer experience wasn’t well managed. The importance of managing the customer experience shouldn’t be forgotten, for most of the 90s Sony built a much higher quality PC then Dell did, but Dell did a vastly better job of managing the customer experience. The result was people clearly went back to Dell and didn’t with Sony.

There was never another launch like this one however the issues surrounding the lack of sustaining marketing continued to repeatedly plague Microsoft through much of the 90s. Windows 95 was followed by Windows 98 and finally, the line ended sadly with the most dreadful Windows version of all, Windows ME. This was a last minute refresh of a dieing line and it was arguably the least desirable.

With the advent of Windows 2000 Microsoft said good bye to the Windows 9x code base putting the product line on life support. After July the product will no longer be supported. This is a state that many of the OEMs wished had happened around the end of the last decade.

As we look ahead to Vista, which really is a substantial change from its predecessors, we shouldn’t forget that Windows 95, as old as it looks today, was an amazing thing in 1995 and the launch was an event that may never again be matched in the Industry.
    I still have a couple still in their original packaging....soooo tempted to try and install one....lol...not...

Anybody else out there still have access to or are still using this version?
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Anybody else out there still have access to or are still using this version?
    Yes, I have Windows 95 v950B build 1212 with USB Support. I also have a couple of slightly earlier builds.

Only got it running on one box, a Toshiba Laptop Intel 486 DX4 75Mhz 16Mb RAM

Originally posted here by nihil
    Yes, I have Windows 95 v950B build 1212 with USB Support. I also have a couple of slightly earlier builds.

Only got it running on one box, a Toshiba Laptop Intel 486 DX4 75Mhz 16Mb RAM

Wow....how are the updates doing.....or are they???

Claude Swanson

AOs Resident Troll
    Yep...

Got a coupla retail versions....I need to hold on to..cause I used the upgrade path to get to 2000

Same with some retail NT 4.0

Still run 98 on one machine at home...for the kids games etc OEM

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Our company is down to one Win98, and it's on it's last byte.....knowing the budget around here, may have to replace it with Win 2000 Lol....jk (personally I use a Win 98 at home for some of my older games).

Claude Swanson

I have a valid Win95 CD and keep it as I might need the files to repair someones old computer.
    Otherwise, I'd have pitched it, along with Win98 and Win2000.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

AOs Resident Troll
    You know...I think I have one of those 95s on floppies...

geez..I remember installing a Novell server with floppies...think it was version 2.4

Imagine how many fricken floppies it would take to install 2003 server

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

My wife and two daughters still use Win98se daily.
    I refuse to try shoehorning WinXP onto those P-IIIs.
    I can fix just about anything that goes wrong
    with 98.

I never used Win95, preferred DOS6.22, and jumped
    from there to Linux, never looking back. My son ran
    Win95 on a 486 so long it must have been growing
    moss on it. He's a gamer, and swore it ran better
    that newer systens his friends were running on
    PIIs and PIIIs.

In a way it's sad to see the old stuff go, but realistically,
    newer apps are burdened by having to be able to run
    on an OS that old. Essentially a program has to have
    extra code to provide backward compatibility. The APIs
    could be simplified by targeting only the current OS.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I still have Windows 3.11 for Workgroups on 3.5" floppies, and Office 4.3

I just remembered I have Win 95 running on an old Gateway 2000 with some sort of Cyrix 386 processor.

My oldest is windows 2.03 running over DOS 5.0 on an HP Vectra VS12 286

Blast From the Past
    i emulate 98se on vmware... have afew tools and games that only work with 98 or earlier.

had a toshiba satalite laptop running 3.11... pull it out every now and then to play gorillas.. the old Qbasic game
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger