Thread: Modem Issue

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Unhappy Modem Issue

Hi gals / guys

I have just assembled a new system and after doing that I am having problem with the Modem.... its not working at all... although the driver is Ok..... Now ths strange thing happening is that as soon as i Insert the telephone line in it all the parallel lines get dead as there is no dialtone..... Just like wires get short of thing.....

Board: Intel 101GGCL
    Processor: Intel 2.66ghz 1 MB cache

Everything else is working fine...... Although I have assembled a computer completly with bare hands for the first time...... Its not that difficult these days... :-)
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Hi,

What make and model of modem and what TYPE ................DSL?, 56.6 dial-up, cable, satellite? Is it internal or external?

If you look in control panel then "hardware" does it show up as being there?, does it show as the correct make/type? Does it show as a problem device?

My first move with a modem problem is generally to try a spare cable that I know works. I have several, and can show you one modem that will work with one cable, but with another will not.

In my experience the modem connectors and USB connectors can be very tempramental. They just don't seem to be made to the same degree of accuracy as the others

Sorry for incomplete infromation... Its 56.6 Dial-up modem... Internal......
    In Control panel its showing the right model.....And its saying device working properly...

This cable is working with the phone..... Its not a new modem, i was using it in previous system.... got certainly problems with the old one thats why changed the system.... So both the cable are modem were working alright on the previous system.......

As i said i assembled the system myself...... After assembling On the the first attempt the system didnot started... I mean although the power was coming on the board (LAN card LED was blinking) but the system couldn't be started.... so i check that i have connected the power LED links wrongly so i cahnged them and things started working properly. The reason why i am mentioning it over here is becasue it might have something to do with it.... WHo Knows...
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

OK,

In control panel, you should have an option something like "Phone and modem options", go into that and select the "modems" tab, check that it is the right modem and select "properties"
    then "diagnostics", then "query modem"...............what are the test results?

What port (COMM) is it connected to...............I would generally expect Com3 for an internal dial-up device.

Just Another Geek
    Most of the regular POTS modems I've seen have 2 RJ11 connectors.. One is marked "Phone" and the other "Line".. Are you sure you're using the "Line" connection?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Problem solved..... I put the the modem in another slot and it started working.... may be something wrong with the slot.... So M/B will be returned back :-)... anyways thanks again.

Hi Fanacool ,

I had that a while back. I built two identical machines with identical peripheral devices.

One modem would work in both machines, the other one would only work in one of them. I put that down to the modem being close to its manufacturing tolerances, and the PCI slot being at the other end.

As rep[lacing a MoBo is a time consuming exercise, might I suggest that you first try something like an old PCI video card in the slot to check if the problem really is the modem.

56.6 Modems are so cheap these days I suspect there is not much in the way of quality control where they are made?