How to install Knoppix on HD?

Thread: How to install Knoppix on HD?

Question How to install Knoppix on HD?

Hi, I want to install Knoppix 4.0 DVD on my HD, I have a 80 GB hd
    formatted as reiserfs and swap. I dont want to format it again because it can harm the HD (formatted it on same Motherboard). Moreover my Motherboard is a 64bit pentium4.

--thanks
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

Just Another Geek

Re: How to install Knoppix on HD?

Originally posted here by HackerzMaster
    Hi, I want to install Knoppix 4.0 DVD on my HD, I have a 80 GB hd
    RTFM? http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hard_Drive_Install_FAQ
    I dont want to format it again because it can harm the HD
    If that was the case all my drives would have died long ago..
    (formatted it on same Motherboard).
    Doesn't matter.. As long as the filesystem is the same you can format your drive on a 286 and stick ik back in your P4EE board.

Do note that you can install and run knoppix on an 64bit system but your system will run in 32bit compatibility mode. To get the maximum performance from your 64bit system I suggest looking for a distro that supports 64bit cpus.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank you sirdice, i didn't have time to google it. But I read here that installing it to drive may cause problems. Damn, now i must stick into a live disk till i get a supporting distro.
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)

Just Another Geek
    As I said.. You can install and run the 32bit version of Knoppix on a 64bit system.

This thread may help you install a 64bit version of Knoppix.
    Oliver's Law:

Thanks, but i mean that it is not recommended to install knoppix on a hd whether its 32 or 64bit cause of apt-get in debian, which can cause package interfering/unstable.

the download link is broken

The Prancing Pirate
    I've never had any problems with apt-get - in fact, I think it's a great tool. Never had dependency issues, package conflicts, etc. And even if you DID have a problem, it certainly wouldn't damage the hard drive or the computer at all - you'd just end up with a slightly disfunctional installation of KNOPPIX. But that's unlikely to happen anyway, because apt-get will usually notify you if you're going to break a pckage or right conflicting with another one. Oh, and make sure you NEVER add any dodgy repositories either

For a 64-bit system, may I suggest RR64 Linux? It includes XGL, and I've heard some great things about it - it's also 22nd on Distrowatch at the moment. I'm downloading it to test it out as well
    TAZForum <---- click

Just Another Geek
    You can also go the *BSD way and install the 64bit version of FreeBSD.. I've got it up and running on my AMD64 and it rocks.. It completely blows away my dual Athlon MP..
    Oliver's Law: