Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading to SP2 vs. factory install

I am sure you have gone here but just in case here is what was "fixed" with downloaded SP2.

Service Pack 2

I did find this post which hopefully will be of some use to you:

CD compares: XP Professional OEM vs. Upgrade
    Wise men talk because they have something to say;
    fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

Right now, without creating VM's, I can give you a complete listing of different files/dates between an XP SP1 OEM CD and an XP SP2 CD.

XP SP1 OEM = Left side of screen
    XP SP2 = Right side of screen

If this works for you, you owe me.

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Have you tried installing SP2, and then updating again? (or as previously suggested do a rollback, then reupdate).

Ok the different SP2 paths..

XP original - SP1 - SP2
    XP original - Patches - SP1 - SP2
    XP original - Patches - SP1 - Patches - SP2
    XP original - SP1 - Patches - SP2
    XP original - SP2
    XP SP1 - SP2
    XP SP1 - Patches - SP2
    Also what else is thrown into the fray.. DotNET?, DirextX, Java VM, Sun Java.. (was DirectX upgraded or Dotnet upgraded during the SP2 install? or some other application)

MAny OEM installs have Sun JAva included while your OWn install path may not or worse MS Java VM...
    YEs MS VM is not removed on the SP2 Install (assuming it was there in the first place)..
    Could there be a funny Java issue here? (had a funny issue with a local car dealership involving a problem with MS VM and Sun JAva in a machine..

I assume No AV involved at anytime here

Only thoughts.. sorry I cant help more..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    OK, so I finally got pissed enough to disect the issue at home this weekend. (Yeah, that went over nicely with the mrs.)

Anyway, here is what's missing: the 16 bit subsystem. All the old com crap that powers 16 bit architecture. I added that crap in and presto, I'm in business.

Now, once I found that, the obvious question is where the hell are they making 16 bit calls in the app? I've found two places already. The first is in printing and the second (so far) is what looks like a 16 bit interface that fires (reasons unknown at the moment) just before the 32 bit interface comes along.

Anyway, because I value my life, I've left this part of the analysis for the office tomorrow. When I figure out the rest I will pop it in here just for completeness and closure.

Oh yeah and I'll be paying a visit to the dummy who accepted this app into production as well.

Thanks to all who have helped.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden