Thread: laptop keyboard question

laptop keyboard question

trying to set up an inspiron 2200 for someone traveling in the field.

problem:

i type in 'a'
    i get 'az'
    'l' gives me a period
    's' gives 'sx'
    'd' gives me 'dc'
    etc...turning on caps give the same results

i have seen something like this and thought it was a virus. made me feel like a fool because it wasn't.

does anyone know how to turn this off?? or do you think it might just be a virus this time.

TIA
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Is it new ? Last time that happened to me it was the beer I spilled on the keyboard the night before. Wasn't a laptop though, so it was a cheap fix. Maybe a careful cleaning is in order ?

its not new but it's immaculate....but it gave me the idea to add a usb keyboard.

ah ha. usb works fine.

thanks hesperus.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hmm maybe somehow the input for the keyboard has gotten itself converted to another language.
    I know if i install a different language driver for my wireless keyboard the keyboard letters will be something other then what they are meant to be.

maybe check the keyboards drivers and disable or update if necessary.

f2B

Sometimes a keyboard reseat helps. Do you have another Ispiron you could swap keyboards with to test? We've had cases in the past where they've had replace the system board to fix the problem.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn