Thread: Where'd it go?!

Where'd it go?!

I was listenin to some music on my computer and I get an error saying "unable to write to D" (my music drive), but I think NOTHING of it and just shrug it off and continue to listen to music. But I kept getting an error, so I got annoyed (to say the least) and reboot, assuming it was probably an error with my extra slow/old computer and my 3-4 day uptime.

When I restart I decide to go back to listen to my music and winamp skips through the songs since it couldn't find any of them. At this point I still maintain my cool and decide to go check out the D drive. Start > Run > D:...."Could not find..". I'm paranoid at this point and go to my computer and I do NOT see the D drive in my computer.

No biggie I thought to myself..nothing a system restore can't fix...boy was I wrong. It said it can't restore the D drive because it was either excluded from system restore point monitoring or was turned off or removed. (quoted from the error).

I checked device manager, and my D drive IS still there..and at the moment I'm really really annoyed at Windows. Can someone PLEASE help me get my HD back (and if possible my songs?) :-/
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Doesn't Device Manager (XP) let you uninstall/reinstall devices? Have you tried that?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Well how would I re-install it? It doesnt come with drivers :-/
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Try this: restart your pc and get into your bios, usually f8. so anyway there should be an option in there to manually detect all your drives. run that and have windows "re-detect" all your drives and see if that clears up the problem. are you running XP?

found this for you: CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows
    If the drive is missing in Windows, remove all connected USB, firewire, and parallel devices and perform the following steps to enable the drive in Windows:
    Step 1: Checking for CD/DVD drive in BIOS
    Make sure the drive appears in Setup. The drive has to be detected in the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) before Windows can see the drive. Check for detection as follows:
    Turn on the PC. When the first logo screen appears, press the F1 key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup screen appears (on some models this key press may be different, F2 or Del)
    Press the F5 key, and then press the Enter key to reset the BIOS to the defaults.
    Use the Left and Right Arrow keys to select Main.
    The hardware-identifying name should appear next to Secondary Master, Secondary Slave, or Primary Slave.
    If the name for the drive exists, Step 3: Checking for CD/DVD at a command prompt in XP .
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Uninstall and reinstall the device via device manager and then reboot... XP will automatically load the drivers on reboot...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Ok, so here's what I did. I was just about to uninstall the drivers and try that out. But I didn't know which one was my HD. So I had to open up my computer and find out what brand it was. After brutally struggling with my hard drive cables and etc. (Imagine a not-so-happy person inside a computer...not a good sight), I didnt think my primary HD would work after all the struggling I did but I didn't care.

So after finding out what it was, I reboot into windows. This time I didn't see the HD in the device manager. So I reboot and go to the BIOS..it didn't detect it either. I re-open my computer and realize that the IDE cable disconnected in the struggle (you can only imagine the mess of cables in my computer, cable managment on this old computer is out of the question). I re-connect it...well long story short, after restarting 2 more times (had to reseat the main IDE cable) i got my HD back

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure uninstalling and re-starting would've done the job just as well with a lot less effort/hassle.

EDIT: The_Texan:
    You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to The Texan again.
    I'll give you an AP as soon as I spread em!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    thanx man glad to help
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted