Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question?????

Quick Question?????

IN WINDOWS XP, WHEN STARTING UP AND HAVING TO ENTER A USER PASSWORD, ARE THERE ANY WAYS TO GET AROUND TYPING IT IN. IF SO WHAT CAN IT BE USED AND HOW WOULD IT RUN??

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS, IM TRYING TO WIN A BET!!

Hi there Robo
    You can set it so that Windows XP logs in automatically to a predetermined set of credentials (username and password) that are hard coded into the Windows registry.

This article will give you some further detail:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231/en-us

Hope this helps

You may want to checkout http://www.thebroken.org/ (Episode 3)
    Interesting section on windows passwords.
    This ain\'t about me im better them you\'ll ever be. You dont concern me i know you\'ll never get to me. You want a shot? I can take your best bring it on. - Slayer
    Gentoo Linux

Just Another Geek
    First off.. Welcome to AO...

Second.. Lose the caps.. It's rude...

Third.. Why do you think XP asks for a password?

Forth.. Think long and hard before asking a question..

Yes.. Security.. When done properly there's NO WAY around it.. That's the whole point of security..

If you have phisical access to the box you might stand a chance.. There are numerous ways to reset the admin password.. I suggest using the search function, it has been covered several times in the past..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Windows XP and Windows 2000 both allow for this awful "feature". It's a simple registry hack. If you googled, you'd have found the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

Now, I'm trying to win a bet too. I'm taking the under on how long before you're pwned if you implement this crap.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by SirDice
    First off.. Welcome to AO...

Second.. Lose the caps.. It's rude...

Third.. Why do you think XP asks for a password?

Forth.. Think long and hard before asking a question..

Yes.. Security.. When done properly there's NO WAY around it.. That's the whole point of security..

If you have phisical access to the box you might stand a chance.. There are numerous ways to reset the admin password.. I suggest using the search function, it has been covered several times in the past..
    SirDice, isn't it true that for every security, there is an anti-security? I agree that when security is done correctly, it is very difficult to get around it....however, nothing in this world is truly perfect and therefore has some sort of flaw. In short, where there is a will, there is a way........and all of the rest of that cliche stuff...lol what do you think?
    there's always a way in...

Just Another Geek
    Spekter.. You're right.. There's no such thing as 100% secure.. Given enough time, money and resources any security can and will get broken.. I was merely speaking in an Utopian kind of way..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    And given that you are dealing with Microsoft there is a very quick and easy way around their local "security".
    as opposed to any other OS.

I would like to know.....what exacting are you refering to

You can PM me if you think its politically incorrect

You can pretty well get around any OSes security with physical access to the machine.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

how long before you're pwned if you implement this crap.
    If it is a single user home pc, there can't be any harm in it.
    My wife would become very impatient if I made her use a
    password to sign on to her own pc.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Even a single-user home PC should have basic security set if it is connected to the Internet. Anyway, I'm not sure we really answered the original post. TechGrunt provided access to information on how to do automatic logins (not a good idea). There were some other suggestions. I think the operative phrase in the question was:

... ANY WAYS TO GET AROUND TYPING IT IN.
    Aside from the automatic login, there are biometrics (fingerprint readers) that allow access without typing in a password. These are legitimate methods of getting past the password prompt, if that is the intent of the question. If it is not the intent of the question, then the first rule applies: Physical access defeats any security.