Thread: Just need a little Advice.

Cool Just need a little Advice.

Ok, so here's my whole situation.

I'm 17, I'm graduating and heading to college this fall. I'm what I'd like to call a Computer Adept. I know networking concepts, have taken the CCNA twice (never passed, just gave up the second time, missed it by 30 points) so that should give you just a basic overview of my level of knowledge. I constantly tell everyone that I want to be a networking administrator and eventually that I want to go into security, and I've always fealt that I was heading on the right track. But when I look around here, I see that there is soooo much that I dont know.

I've been a member for a while now, but now I am just starting to be ready to take an active role. I want to be a Security Expert, thats what my whole focus is, it has been my drive since I was in 9th grade and took my first Cisco class. Now im getting ready to go to college (University of Central Florida) and am planning on setting Information Technology as my Major (simply because Computer Science means alot of programming, and though i've taken several programming classes in Java, C++, and VB.net, I've discovered I just am not a programmer). I just want to know what kind of advice you guys could give me. What should I be doing to get myself more "security prone". I've only dabbed a bit in linux (I took a Unix Class where we played around with Redhat 8 and SuSe 9) but almost all of my computer experience has been with Windows.

How should I be going about expanding my knowledge about networks and computer systems and network security? I want to make this my passion, and I feel this is the best place to get advice, any and all suggestions I would greatly appreciate.
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried...\"

Get some beer and start reading for your Security+

http://www.comptia.org/certification/security/
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Just Another Geek
    So, you want to be a network administrator but you gave up on your CCNA exams? Not a good reference on your future CV... I suggest passing the grade.. It'll help getting you that all important first job so you can get some real life experience...

And don't worry about not knowing enough.. I've been playing with computers for over 20 years now and have worked in the field for the past 10... And there's still lots of stuff even I don't know about

In short.. Get certified, anything you can get your hands on... Get a job in the field and get the all important experience...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I've explained the security sector to young folks like this. Think of security as the top layer of a pyramid. It's the final building block on a solid foundation of experience and knowledge. You can't secure what you don't understand.

The base of the pyramid is solid harware and software skills (OSes in particular)
    The next level up is networking and protocols
    After that, network administration skills
    The one after that is programming languages
    Finally, the top of the pyramid is security

Only after you've gone through these basic areas can you be effective in a security role. When you get there, then you have new challenges like auditing, regulatory compliance, etc.

Please note that a security professional no longer practices soley in the technical arena. You now have to have a variety of business skills, auditing skills and legal experience to an extent.

You have a long road ahead. Build your knowledge and be sure you understand the concepts before moving on to more complex material.

That's about the best generic advice I can give you.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I got my A+ cert, but that doesnt really mean anything, and "given up" on my CCNA was kinda rough on my part. Mostly it was because my parents didnt want to pay for me to take it a 3rd time. I've kept up with my knowledge of the curriculum and am even going to a national competition in a couple of weeks because of it (Business Professionals of America: Cisco Systems Administration) I placed 3rd in the State.
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried...\"

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Good, and don't give up. Be persistant. Just because it appears impossible doesn't mean that it is.

Good luck.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden