Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stained Windows! Microsoft to mark illegal copies

Stained Windows! Microsoft to mark illegal copies

Howdy.

Came across this a few minutes ago, thought it was interesting enough and should spark some good discussion so enjoy.
    PIRATED software users be warned. Microsoft Corp is going to start “nagging” Windows users who do not have a legitimate copy of its operating system (OS).

Starting tomorrow, the software giant will permanently flag personal computers that are not running a genuine copy of Windows.

This move affects the six million Windows users in this country, as well as those in the United States, Britain, New Zealand and Australia.

Industry sources informed In.Tech that the software giant is giving Windows the ability to tell if a user's PC is running a genuine or pirated version of the OS, via an update patch that becomes available from tomorrow.

The patch takes effect if a PC user has opted to automatically update Windows the moment he goes online. It will also take effect should a PC user manually download the latest Windows updates.

If the OS is an unauthorised copy, a pop-up dialogue box will appear on the Windows login screen, informing the user that his copy of the OS is counterfeit and that he should get a genuine copy.
    Stained Windows! Microsoft to mark illegal copies
    I do wonder though, how long it will take for someone to release some kind of crack that eliminates the login in prompt, and other little messages appearing..

cheers
    f2B

I think I know of a crack:

Turn off auto updates.

Damn that was hard.

If the OS is an unauthorised copy, a pop-up dialogue box will appear on the Windows login screen, informing the user that his copy of the OS is counterfeit and that he should get a genuine copy.

So there only nagging with dialogue boxes? There not taking any action to lockdown the system if it does detect a pirated copy of windows?
    This ain\'t about me im better them you\'ll ever be. You dont concern me i know you\'ll never get to me. You want a shot? I can take your best bring it on. - Slayer
    Gentoo Linux

What do you want them to do, make it lock them out of the machine or format the HD? What if the copy is legitimate and they screw up? Like with Windows XP, people bought it and had problems with the sign up.

Originally posted here by gore
    What do you want them to do, make it lock them out of the machine or format the HD? What if the copy is legitimate and they screw up? Like with Windows XP, people bought it and had problems with the sign up.
    They do it with microsoft update. (Lock the user out of the machine.) I had a user come to me with a machine that someone had built for them. They had a pirated copy of XP Pro and Office 2k3 Pro. After "upgrading" to microsoft update, they couldn't log on their PC anymore.

Luckily for them, I could boot into safe mode and do a system restore...

But still, the user didn't know they had "pirated" software. They purchased the PC from a local small shop that is now no longer in business! (Who would have guessed!?)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Lol I've seen actual copies have that happen.

I own.... 4 copies of XP, 1 of 2000 Professional, 2 of Windows 95 and two Windows 98 SE and one Windows ME I can't install because it was a restore CD for a machine my ex stole.

I don't own any pirated sftware really.

I wonder if they are even able to do that...

The "genuine software" thing they created to keep you from updating Windows could be bypassed, so how would they be able to tell if the specific OS is "tainted"?

Originally posted here by Morvai
    I wonder if they are even able to do that...

The "genuine software" thing they created to keep you from updating Windows could be bypassed, so how would they be able to tell if the specific OS is "tainted"?
    There is a newer active x control that you can't disable like you could the last one.
    At least, you can't disable it in the IE --> Tools --> Internet Options --> Programs --> Manage Add-ons...

However, just because you can't use the "radio" button to disable it doesn't mean you can't tweak the registry...

Browse to the following location in your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\CLSID

Locate: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}

Change the value from 1 to 0 to disable.

If you go back into the manage add ons in IE, it will now be disabled.

This only diables the newest Windows Genuine Active X control. I'm not sure if it has any effect on the "patch" that m$ is releasing via windows/microsoft update.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If you want to bad enough, you will be able to run and update a pirated copy. However, unless someone releases an easy method or tool, I doubt the people like those that gore was talking about will go to the effort of doing it. So, every time MS adds a new feature, a few people will crack their own and then will share with everyone else how to do it, thus defeating the new security for a few updates. Probably more of a pain in the ass than is worth it, but to each their own.

I think the main theory behind adding a nagging popup vs disabling all together is to wrap up that issue. If you didn't know you had a bad copy and are constantly nagged you might look into it and realize. Gore mentions a good point as well. If they screw up and you have a legit copy it doesnt lock you out either.

Now I know there is a crazy statistic out there on the number of pirated copies of windows and I don't think it would be wise for microsoft to lock out disable computers that are using pirated copies. If you got locked out you might be more willing to say screw this Im switching to Linux. I think microsoft would rather have you use a pirated version than lose the wide range of people to linux. As more and more people were to get turned off from using windows they would have to use something and if they started to gain the knowledge to use Linux then why wouldnt companies look at using it? If their entire user base understands it.

I know this is all a stretch and a longer term effect but just another thought on the subject
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here