Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS issue.

BIOS issue.

Ive recently just got a old pc of a friend of mine.
    Im wanting to install linux onto it but it doesnt seem to boot from CD-rom or floppy.
    Do very old pc's come with BIOS? Is there anyway of install BIOS?

Thanks.
    This ain\'t about me im better them you\'ll ever be. You dont concern me i know you\'ll never get to me. You want a shot? I can take your best bring it on. - Slayer
    Gentoo Linux

Hi,

How "old" is old? (what processor)...................what make is it?

Does it have a hard drive?.................can you boot from that?

If it is an old corporate box the CD and floppy boot options might be disabled in the BIOS.

What happens when you power it up, do you see anything on the screen and do you get any "beeps"

Typical keys to get into the BIOS are F1, Delete, F10, Escape and F2 just keep tapping them during power up or if you get a prompt.

Do you get any lights come on, and can you hear the fans?

VERY old, its got some buttons ive never even seen before. Yea its got a HD.
    When i boot it says to press delete to enter setup. But when i do press it nothings happens
    it just boots into windows. Ive tried numerous keyboards.
    This ain\'t about me im better them you\'ll ever be. You dont concern me i know you\'ll never get to me. You want a shot? I can take your best bring it on. - Slayer
    Gentoo Linux

Hi Mate,

What version of Windows does it boot into?

Try <start> <settings> <control panel> <system>

That should give you information on the OS version, RAM and processor.

Also, go into Windows Explorer, right click on your HDD and select properties.............that should tell you HDD capacity and available space.

How comfortable are you with opening it up?

The first thing I would do is replace the CMOS battery. You might looking in contol panel at the date/time settings......................it will probably say something like January 1 1980

Try tapping the Delete key as you switch it on, and keep tapping it until it either goes into setup or Windows...............let me know which it does.

Just Another Geek
    What brand is it? I know some old Compaq machines had a ~2MB partition on the harddrive that contained the setup.. This might have been deleted..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice

That is possible, but it won't be a Compaq.....................I have 286, 386 and 486's of theirs and they all use F10 for setup...................so did the later Pentiums.

My guess is that the battery is dead and the BIOS has reverted to some sort of default which you probably can't change without putting a new one in?

Thanks for the help nihil and SirDice, but the pc doesnt seem to want to turn on anymore...
    Guess ill just use it for spare parts...
    Gentoo Linux

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    If it's that old what kind of spare parts would be useful in a new box? I'm a recovering packrat.

however I got the idea of building up an old Apple II plus box with a new MB just to filp people out, just haven't got arounfd to it.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

I was thinking the HD and powerpack for my other fairly old PC.
    Alot of the parts would be useful.
    Gentoo Linux

Hi,

Are you getting any lights come on at all, and does the PSU fan run?

If not, it sounds like a PSU problem. If you do then I would try replacing the CMOS battery, as I have come across some old machines that won't come out to play if that is flat.

It may have had a small charge in it, particularly if it had been left for some time, and now that you have used it a bit you have flattened it againt?