Input/Output Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input/Output Problem

Banned

Input/Output Problem

When I execute the following commands I get this error:
    mount /dev/cdrom
    cp -r /mnt/cdrom /home/user/foo
    It says something about Input/Output error (sorry I would put the exact error message but i'll explain why in a minute)
    When I try to do it again it says:
    omitting '/mnt/cdrom'

I don't understand why it isn't working, it was fine a few hours ago. The next problem I have is when I try to mount a burnt music cd it says :
    mount: block device /dev/hdd is write-protected mounting as read-only (understandable)
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type (I don't know what type)

Then I do it again and it says this:
    Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/hdc
    missing codepage or other error

I will try to get the exact error for the Input/Output again, but in the mean time can anyone help me out?

don't understand why it isn't working, it was fine a few hours ago. The next problem I have is when I try to mount a burnt music cd it says :
    mount: block device /dev/hdd is write-protected mounting as read-only (understandable)
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type (I don't know what type)

Then I do it again and it says this:
    Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/hdc
    missing codepage or other error
    Ok, I thought I remember that you can't mount audio cds. Did some googling and found out why. You can only mount file systems. A regular data cd has a file system. An audio cd doesn't.
    fs type would be thinks like: vfat ntfs reiserfs ext3, Type man mount at the command line for more info.

When I execute the following commands I get this error:
    mount /dev/cdrom
    cp -r /mnt/cdrom /home/user/foo
    It says something about Input/Output error (sorry I would put the exact error message but i'll explain why in a minute)
    When I try to do it again it says:
    omitting '/mnt/cdrom'
    Ok, to make this command work, I think it should be something more like this:

cp -r /mnt/cdrom/directory you want to copy /home/user/foo

I think the reason this one is going bad on you is that you didn't specify a source directory for cp -r. Mount the data cd, use ls to list the directories on it, and try the cp -r command again on one of them. Let me know if it works.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Banned
    I still get the same error message when I try to cp the specific directory.
    cp: reading '/mnt/cdrom/this_dir/this_file': Input/output error

And as to the mounting of specific file systems. How do I know what file system it is? I had this problem trying to mount a blank CD as well. So finding out the file system would help me out. thanks guys

Did some googling. May be a problem with the disk (the cd). Have you tried more than one? Also, a blank cd will not have any file system whatsoever. Experience and research will help you know what file system you are dealing with.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Banned
    Yeah I have tried multiple CD's and all say the same thing.

*And I did some googling as well and found out that Audio CD's don't have a valid file system so they aren't supposed to be mounted, thanks for you info on that . Now I just have to get this Input/ouput problem fixed....

Ok, on the computer you're trying to do this on, do you have another disk drive, like a DVD drive you can mount and try the command on?

Banned
    I have 2 DVD Writers on my computer. I tried with both and get the exact same error message.

Can you use a graphical file manager like Nautilus or Konqueror and use drag and drop to try to copy things from your disk drives? Has that been working ok?

I don't know. I seem to be able to copy ok with that command on my system.

Just Another Geek
    Looking at the device names I'm assuming you're using some linux distro..
    Let's see if you can mount it by hand.. As root try:

Code:
    mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    Does that work? Can you post the exact line in fstab?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Banned
    The line in fstab is
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,owner 0 0
    When I do
    mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom, It seems to mount just fine, but when I try to copy i still get the same errors

And no I haven't tried a Graphical interface, but I cant imagine that it would work any better, but I'll give it a shot