Log-in screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log-in screen.

Log-in screen.

Hi, i posted this in another thread and was advised to open up another thread on it;

Originally posted here by PyroTechnics
    Hi, i would just like to add that this 'log in' screen suddenly appeared on my computer without me changing any settings.

Also, it says under the user name that i select, even though its only one, that i have 700 or so unread emails.... It climbs by 30 or 40 a day and ive checked all known email address' that i have and none have this amount.

How do i turn this feature OFF.
    Just to answer a few quick questions;

Originally posted here by zENGER
    Does this login page have usernames and pictures there, or a place to type a user name? (This will determine if its the welcome screen, or the domain login screen).
    Its the welcome screen i think. It has just the one username, doesn;t have anywhere to type in a password, but also shows 'unread mail' which climbs by the day. I didn't switch this feature on, could it automatically be set with windows updates?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi PyroTechnics ,

I guess the first move is to find out what "it" is. If you right click on the pop-up can you display its properties. Also ctrl + Alt + del and look at what applications and processes are running whilst it is there?

Another thing, do you have any local mail clients such as Outlook, or Outlook Express.............if so, open them up and see if they aren't storing this stuff on your HDD.

Try:

Ewido
    A-Squared
    Spybot Search & Destroy

Install, update and run in safe mode, it could be some sort of spamming activity or other malware.
    Ok i'll re-start the computer soon and do a right-clicky.

Yeah, i have checked all my outlook express emails and have emptied them all out. So i'm not sure why i still have the 700+ emails there.

I have A-Squared and Spybot, i do regular checks with that but have never done it in safe mode. Will do it soon.

Am i just being paranoid with this? I'm just concerned about the fact that this welcome page has appeared on its own, rather than me enabling it.

Picture

Thats a picture of the screen i am talking about anyway.

Also, i can't right click on it either.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    How interesting. When you view the picture you posted and you click on the 704 e-mails, you get redirected to the image shack registration page.

Also, here is the answer to your question.

To modify it for all users on your Windows XP:

Go to Start and select run, in the run box type Regedit and click ok. Once Regedit has started navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

Once there Create a new DWORD (Right click in right hand pane, New>DWORD) called MessageExpiryDays

Double click the DWORD MessageExpireyDays you just created and be sure the value is set to 0 (should be the default value if this is a new DWORD). If you only wish to make a change to your own user edit this registry key instead HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Unfortunately there is no folder for Unreadmail by navigating the instructions you wrote. Any reason why?

Download the attached file and remove the .txt from it. Right click and select merge.

Reboot.

Tell me what happens.

FYI, this info comes right from MS, found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304148/

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Download the attached file and remove the .txt from it. Right click and select merge.

Reboot.

Tell me what happens.

--Th13
    You know Horse, if it were anyone but you that said this, I would be, "What, you want me to do what with that file (from someone I don't know)...are you nuts"

Cheers:
    DjM

Banned
    Careful, DjM, you might scare off the newbie. We just about have him reeled in.

Kidding. You can trust horsie ... really.

My personal mantra is, "If it can't shoot back I don't hunt it." This applies here as well.

If Poly has an issue, he can simply open the file with notepad and see that it's nothing more than a registry export (which hides ultra uberc0dez). Hehe. J\K.

--Th13

nothing more than a registry export (
    Is that export or expolit horse?

Cheers:
    DjM

Reboot.

Tell me what happens.

--Th13
    Done. And the unread mail line doesn't appear at the welcome screen....