Explosion at work

Thread: Explosion at work

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Explosion at work

OK, we have a room the size of a small store which is loaded with UPS gear, all of which is controlled by a HUGE UPS high availability controller.

This room has various controls in place including an accustical alarm.

While sitting at my desk, I heard what sounded like a .30-06 round go off and 2 seconds later I got the ALERT from the accustical alarm.

Upon inspection, one of the capacitors in the controller blew up then caught fire.

The up side to this is that we know our high availability solution works. It kicked over without issue.

See pic. Happy Phriday.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Poor Horsey. Had to get up and go outside hahaha. Nice pic though. Burning components that explode at work usually chill a BOFH out

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I haven't seen anything like that since working on high powered radio transmitters!

I love the smell of burning components...it smells like victory!

If you know what movie I bastardized that from you must be as old as me!
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

fourdc

1. Apocalypse Now

2. Older

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I spent Oct 1999 with a VERY sore face and instant sunburn because a capacitor bank decided to blow

Burning components that explode at work usually chill a BOFH out
    when you start to work for a living, then, maybe, we will see the funny side of your juvenille posts, until then, refrain from posting in threads in which you have NO idea

I spent a couple of weeks sans vision, my oppo, spent almost a month without need for sunglasses

it has to be said that our capacitor banks were HUGE in comparison to damn nigh anything else within range

got copper plasma traces in my eyes to this day

so stop posting like a kid
    and grow up

ps - I hate capacitors
    even the little ones
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

WTF? Refrain from posting in a thread? I was talking to him when that bang went off. What is this treat gore like a kid **** over the last two days, I've been working since the age of 13 it's not like I've never seen hardware go boom.

And the part you quoted me on was from a BOFH story....

The hell with it, God Father Part 2 is on, I'm not wasting my time. And you better be joking.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    And you better be joking
    threats ..............
    and yes, refrain
    and I've been working since 13 too [=35]
    although my boss says. two more years and I get a week off

and NO
    you have NEVER seen hardware go BOOOOOM

in my case it was WAY to close and personal
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I'm very curious how it is you know I've never seen hardware go boom. The last time I saw it was when I blew up a printer about 2 months ago. Sure that was on purpose.... But I've seen hardware go that I didn't strap things to.

and who threatened anyone? I've got burns from explosions I've been close to. .... And I really am curious how you managed to come all the way to Port Huron Michigan and watch me from day one so you could say I've never seen hardware explode. that has me wondering.

EDIT:

Forgot that loving grow up statement. If this was meant to be serious, it wouldn't be in ****ing tech humor.

Nice picture THEHRSE. i bet it would of put some action into a somewhat normal day.
    maybe put the damaged hardware on ebay and see if some moron will actually by it..

cheers
    f2B

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I've asked for the damaged gear but the manufacturer got dibs on it. They want to study it to see wtf went amiss.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden