Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack Linux Security Tools package

Backtrack Linux Security Tools package

I just installed SUse Linux but I really like the security tools that comes along with backtrack or knoppix. I wanted to know if there was a way to get all the tools and goodies that comes with backtrack or knoppix without having to download all the progs individually. Sort of like a package or something.
    \"They have the internet on computers now?\"

Why not just install vmware server (now free) and run the live distro on top of your current distro?

Thats what I do... however, the main problem I have with that is you can't use the wifi tools because vmware doesn't give you full access to the wifi nic. It detects it as a normal ethernet adapter, not a wifi adapter.

For that reason, the wifi tools that I wanted to run I had to install separately.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

phish has a great suggestion...

you could also run Windows as your main OS and a live CD under it (this provides you with more flexibility in software.. you can run your windows software and your live cD simultaneously..

If you go with linux and want the live cd and windows under it, you'll have two VMs + your host OS..

Also now that Virtual Server is free -- http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx (and it has some nice functionality and i'd have to say better hardware support than VMWare...) it's a nice way to go.

Peace,
    HT

Thanks to the both of you for the great advice. I had no idea I could do something like that. And as far as the wifi problem it won't bother me much seeing as how I don't own a laptop yet and I dont have a wireless setup at home. Thanks again.
    \"They have the internet on computers now?\"

Just Another Geek
    A lot of the software on Knoppix and/or BackTrack are available as packages for SuSe..
    But you probably need to download and install them seperately..

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Finding_RPMs
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Why not just install vmware server (now free) and run the live distro on top of your current distro?

Thats what I do... however, the main problem I have with that is you can't use the wifi tools because vmware doesn't give you full access to the wifi nic. It detects it as a normal ethernet adapter, not a wifi adapter.

For that reason, the wifi tools that I wanted to run I had to install separately.
    Hey phish, does this work with VM Player too or just VM server?

Cheers:
    DjM

Originally posted here by DjM
    Hey phish, does this work with VM Player too or just VM server?

Cheers:
    The problem with vmware player is you have to have a vmware session already created for you. You can create a vmware session with vmware server and just copy it to dvd or some other shared medium and then play it on another machine with vmware player. I do that at work.

The session I have created have the whax live cd "installed" to the virtual hard drive. It runs a bit faster in the virtual session than booting your virtual session from a CD or .iso. I have yet to try out backtrack. I suppose whax works just fine for me and I'm waiting for an "official" release vs. chancing the beta.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    The problem with vmware player is you have to have a vmware session already created for you. You can create a vmware session with vmware server and just copy it to dvd or some other shared medium and then play it on another machine with vmware player. I do that at work.

The session I have created have the whax live cd "installed" to the virtual hard drive. It runs a bit faster in the virtual session than booting your virtual session from a CD or .iso. I have yet to try out backtrack. I suppose whax works just fine for me and I'm waiting for an "official" release vs. chancing the beta.
    Thanks Phish, I am going to try this and see how it works.

Cheers:
    DjM

Ah, thats clever. There was a post over at hackaday or some site similar that did this. They took a vmware session that vmware made available and changed the setup of it to run live cds, or install any other OS that you wanted. I guess they just decided that they might as well release a live cd session so users wouldn't have to hack together their own.

Ah yes... here it is.
    http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000153064739/

vmware saved you some time.

Just Another Geek
    WiFi and VMWare only works if you have an USB WiFi adapter.. It simple does not and will not work with a PCMCIA WiFi card..

BackTrack FAQ - VMWare Wireless
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.