Thread: PSA: Learn from my Stupidity!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

PSA: Learn from my Stupidity!

ok, yall prepare to have a laugh. Yesterday I was bored and I got inspired to change the text on my start button. You know the easy reg hack ( or so I thought) So, I went to a reputiable site and followed the directions on how to do it down to a T. Now at this point I was feeling like a bada** I restarted my pc like it said to do and once it booted up my bada** feeling plummetted like a rock, I had NOTHING on my screen! not a damn thing! so naturally I was like oh shite! trying desperatly to figure out what I did wrong. Then to make matters worse my USB keyboard and mouse stopped dead. So I restarted again and it gave me 20 seconds to make a decsion on what to boot into ( safe mode, regular etc) so I raced like a madman to my roomates room and grabbed his keyboard. This was like something out of Swordfish ( the movie) and I got it at 1 second lol so now at least I had a keyboard I got my mouse working again and go into task manager. Managed to get back into my Registry and correct my mistake. Guess what I did?! I accidently deleted Explorer.exe and put TheTexan.exe ( what I wanted to change my start button text too) lol bad news! moral of the story: dont play with the registry and DONT delete explorer.exe ( you supposed to put the text you want between explorer and .exe. anyway long story short everything works now but it was F'ed for a while lol.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

No one replied! I must bump this til I get a reply lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    [Just to make you happy]

Your Stupid!!!!!!

Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

ok now this thread can die in peace
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Greeting's

Same thing happened with me but the OS was Win 98SE and I tried to edit explorer.exe

The best thing it was a cafe and it wasnt my PC.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Way back in Pentium 75 days I downloaded a BIOS update for my gateway.

Using the utility provided I saved the old BIOS to floppy, then installed the new BIOS. I removed the floppy and rebooted.

NO OS DETECTED

It couldn't find the hard drive. So I tried to load the old BIOS, I couldn't get the floppy to work. I was screaming an swearing and ready to take a gun to the box because I thought I'd nuked it and it would never come back.

I took my dog for a walk, a half hour later a beam of light came from the sky and I received enlightenment. Almost like a Monty Python movie

"You loaded a BIOS and didn't configure it you stupid bastard, it doesn't know what you have for a hard or floppy drive."

I finished the walk and promptly went into set up and told it what I had for drives, it rebooted and worked fine. I felt immensely dumb.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

I once threw out a brand new machine by accident.
    long story short, i brought a new box that was identical to the old one same case etc etc, but newer.
    Anyhow had then sitting next to each other while transfering data. Anyhow shop got really busy lack of staff anyhow i was on the phone to a client, and i unplugged the new machine and threw it into the dumpster out back smashing it to the shi***r. thinking that it was the old machine that was getting trashed..
    I didn't realise until the next day when i went to install something on the new machine..

moral of the story never buy a new computer that is identical to the old one.

man was i pissed.

f2B

Tex: Just a FYI- If explorer doesn't start for some reason, you can do ctrl-alt-delete and use taskmanager to start a new process. If you kill explorer.exe in a normal windows session you will get that blank page. It will eventually reload itself. However, I'm inpatient and start it manually.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Phish, thanx for the tip in case I ever do something really stupid like that again lol.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

And assuming his keyboard works...
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived