Can someone explain this one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain this one?

Can someone explain this one?

I have an issue with my pc. In order to get online and surf I must uninstall my nic, restart, reinstall my nic, and restart again to get online after my computer has been turned off. I have ran several programs to find spyware and adware. I was wandering if there is anything additional I can do to fix this issue.
    Thanks

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    First thing I would do is go to www.driverguide.com and look for drivers for your nic card and install the most up to date drivers if you dont have them. 2nd thing I would check is the pysical connection of the nic card inside your pc. It may be loose and causing you to have to load and re-load the nic everytime. What OS are you running? and have you run an anti virus scan recently? if you dont have one AVG or Trend Micro are good AV's to have.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Im running AVG, Adaware, Avast, Spykiller, Spybot,and Sygate. Not all at once but I scan with all of them routinely. I just placed the card today to replace one that was doing the exact same thing. Trial and error shows that both do the same thing. The first one came from the factory, the other I bought a few days ago. Im ruuning XP btw. I cant get house call to run for stinkin activeX issue I am having. Thanks for the info

Im running AVG, Adaware, Avast, Spykiller, Spybot,and Sygate. Not all at once but I scan with all of them routinely. I just placed the card today to replace one that was doing the exact same thing. Trial and error shows that both do the same thing. The first one came from the factory, the other I bought a few days ago. Im ruuning XP btw. I cant get house call to run for stinkin activeX issue I am having. Thanks for the info

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    if this is a repeat issue, you have an issue with the PCI slot that your nic card slides into... either that or a motoboard issue... I would check into those further if I were you but, Im no expert on motherboards so other than Google I cant really help you there sorry.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Take out the NIC and restart. Shut the PC down and install the new NIC, restart. If that doesn't work, try installing it into a different PCI slot.

One thing If the sound advice given thus far dose not cure the issue..
    What are the network setting before you remove the device.. is the card enabled or disabled?
    what is the status of the ip settings
    have you tried, from the command prompt/window, ipconfig /renew
    dambed!! when the problem arrises what do you get when you do a ipconfig /all ?

How is the CMOS backup battery? getting a bit old.. could be as simple as the bios forgetting the hardware or being corrupted.. (15%)

The other option is to follow through with IronGeeks tutorial ( www.irongeek.com http://<a rel="nofollow" href="http:...ertutorial</a> ) and build yourself a BArt PE boot CD.. and see what the happens when it boots.. if the network is working 100% run the tools that you have setup on the Boot cd, HJT (save a log before running any of the other tools..dont fix anything..do another log after all else is run.and post that back here), McAfee AV, Ad-Aware.. even Stinger..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Go into Devices and see if you have an unknown device under "Other". If you do then delete both the unknownm device and the NIC then restart the box. It will find the NIC and install it. Check again to see if you have the unknown device. If you don't all should be well.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    Depending on the motherboard and system BIOS you have, you may have an interrupt conflict. If the NIC is installed in the first PCI slot, and you have a AGP video card, this is probably where the problem is. I had a couple hundred Dell 4100's that had this issue once. Standard practice to avoid issues was to open the box, move the NIC to the second PCI slot, close the box and fire it up. Problem disappeared.

Check with the vendor to make sure you have the most current BIOS build for your system and consider what I and the other have said. This problem sounds more like a device issue than any spyware or virus problem. Device Manager is your friend.

Chances are, you had a couple of items in the Other listing in Device Manager. It helps to clear out (uninstall and don't allow the system to rescan yet) all the things in Other. Shutdown. Put the NIC in another PCI slot and bring the system back up. If it doesn't rediscover everything correctly, you probably need a more current driver (check TheTexan's item), and maybe the BIOS needs an update.

Still not acting right

I have uninstalled everything and reinstalled a new nic. It is pining the modem and doing loopback. I can surf after i uninstalled and reinstall it, but as soon as it have been turned off and restarted it goes back to no surf. I have not replaced the cmos battery yet, but i have redone the drivers a few times. It is a dell pc. I have been though every pci slot availible and it is still doing it. Anymore advice presents is eagerly welcomed.
    Thanks