Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masters for computer security geek

The way I have seen things going, at least over here, is that your IT qualification is your passport to your chosen area of the IT industry, whilst your MBA is your key to senior management positions.

When I started out (and one had to avoid dinosaur turds on the sidewalk back then ) there were precious few IT degrees and even fewer "certifications". In fact, there weren't any PCs as such, and there was no internet as we know it.

Industry recruited its people from existing sectors such as engineering, finance, marketing and so on. In other words, they took people with business/commercial expertise and trained them in computing.

Anyone here remember the IBM System3, S/32, S/34, S/38, 4300, 3080?.............. scraped up dinosaur droppings with 80-column punched cards?

My point is that back then, they took people with business knowledge and taught them computing. Now they take people with IT training and expect them to learn business. The "requirement" is the same, but the whole thing has gone full circle.............almost "chicken and egg"?

Another way of looking at it is if I get my first degree in accountancy, then pass my CPA (ACA over here) exams, which would involve three years articled to a professional accountancy firm (in the UK at least)..............what would be the point in getting a masters or doctorate in accountancy, unless I wanted to be an academic?

Just my thoughts

Originally posted here by rapier57
    Real, accredited undergrad programs are rare, online. There are diploma mills, but you don't want to go there. You might check out your local community colleges for the basic courses, some of which can be done online, then transfer that to a four-year college or university to finish out the BA or BS in whatever mode you can. The schools are starting to offer more and more hybrid on-campus/on-line courses. Once you have the BA/BS, then look at the masters programs.
    I actually have to disagree about the diploma mill comment. I've seen the coursework that is required at schools like University of Phoenix, or Western International University and they require quit a bit more of their 1000 and 2000 level courses than anything that I experienced going to a top state school. Most of my undergrad the teachers didn't care if you showed up to lectures, you just had to show up for any labs, turn in assignments, and take your exams. The better online schools have very strict online participation requirements.

I've taken courses at junior colleges, state 4 year schools, and a top private school and they all offered online classes. In most cases the online classes involved a lot more work to make up for the lack of lecture. In almost all cases major state universities are offering full online degree programs. Might be expensive for out of state tuition, but there are certainly a lot of good online options.

IronGeek,

I started taking classes in Information Assurance this past semester at Iowa State, through their Engineering Distance Education program. I liked it because I could take one class at a time - easier on the wife, kids, and bank aco****. The content is delivered through streaming lectures that you can watch live or download. The one class I've taken has been great. The video lectures are high quality and you have access to the computer engineering network for testing/playing/homework through SSH or remote desktop. I also liked the fact that after 4 classes I could get an Information Assurance certificate and then continue on for the full Masters if I wanted. It is a regular IA State diploma, no online designations etc. The program has the NSA designation as well.

Certificate

Masters

My $.02. Good luck with your decision.

mike

Based on how I believe the industry is shifting, it would be appropriate for you to stay employed in the infosec area while pursuing the MBA. You can always get more technical certs along the path to your MBA.

In the words of master ship builder Andrews, "Go now. Don't wait."
    TH13 - you hit the nail on the head there. All of us in our IT auditing department have or are getting our MBAs or Masters, then meebe going for the certs. Our management supports going after certs, just so we look better to our clients, for me that also include a monthly shower and shave, whether I need it or not. I have seen "kids" finish their bachelor's and go right into their MBA program, it's not even a second thought anymore.

Something else to consider... if you want a terminal degree, people may wish to also pursue a PhD in Organizational Management or related field. However, some organizations, or rather, the people in organizations, tend to still see PhDs as an indicator that you want to be a professor or scientist; at least in our organization. Me? I am looking to pursue my JD and focus on Intellectual Property...yep I love the "dark side", first auditing then legal - bwah-hah-hah-hah!

*ahem... also TH13 is correct the field is already shifting in IT and it's security related arenas, security is still important in the business, but employers want you well-rounded, and I'm not talking about maxing out your daily burrito intake. They want the technical, business and interpersonal skills... mad skillz. Basically, the end-goal, highly trained, educated and experienced IT generalists that can specialize if needed.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.