Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC Address Change

MAC Address Change

With reference to the article on irongeeks site.

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/changemac

I would like to add that there is one more way that i know of in windows xp to change the MAC address and i have done it successfully. I wouls like him to add it to his tutorial.

Here are the steps
    1. Open the network connections from the taskbar
    2. Select the connection and open properties
    3. Diable the connection
    4. Alongside the Network Card(connect using) is the Configure option
    5. In that select the Advanced tab
    6. Move to the network address property
    7. Check the Value radio button and type the new address. Note it has auto limit to type 12 characters and not more
    8. save and reenable the connection.

This would change the MAC address.

Hi

Sorry i read the after notes later. Its mentioned there. Anyway the article is a good one. Please have a look.

Sorry again i posted it after reading the article only and not the after notes.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    you know, if you posted in error you can just click the delete button and delete your previous post.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I read the post, I knew that there were those special NICs that could change the MAC address. I am wondering is this a reality for a lot of NICs? A friend of mine said that most NICs cannot be changed that the MACs are burned into the actual card.

I'm going to search the archives and such, so if this was brought up earlier please disreguard, if not I'm looking for a listing of NICs that do and don't allow for this.

Ok I've gone through 30 plus threads dealing with MAC addresses and none really answered my question about changing MAC addresses.

Now before red flags are popping up in your mind, we are changing from IP ACL on our router to MAC ACL under the impression that anyone can change the IP on thier computer to allow for access. Where MAC addresses I thought were a lot tougher to change or impossible in some cases. (if there is anything that is impossible in this field) Currently, (not my decision) we are only using a router to control who can and cannot use the service. Now given the very small amount of time allocated to complete this job, the decision was made to put up a MAC access list. Well, I ran across this thread and it put a lot of questions in my mind. So here goes.

I found that SMAC claims to be able to change any MAC address. Is this true ? here

I just wanted clarification on how easy it is and if it is a wide spread thing for people to change their MAC address. I am about to try it here on a dummy computer but was wondering if any sys admins out there have ran into that problem enough for me to worry about it.

Is the MAC ACL any better then than a IP ACL? I'm talking just at the basic access list level not really any extended functioning.

Hi

Well here i must add that if you are going to use the MAC ACL then combine it with the IP's of the computers too. This way if both of the IP or the MAC address are not matching then it wont grant the services or access. ARP (address resolution protocol) pkays an important role here.

However this can be bypassed too.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

This has been discussed quite a few times here before; search the archives for port security, 802.1x, arp poisoning...
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Just Another Geek
    A normal non-administrative account cannot change a machine's IP address.

MAC addresses can be changed, just like an IP, if you have enough privileges to do so.

MAC ACLs are not good... Think about what happens when you add another router to your network. Everything behind that router will have the router's MAC address. This is just basic TCP/IP..

Are we talking wireless networks here?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hey thanks ammo, I think I was searching with the wrong key words I'll be checking out those other threads soon.

And also to SirDice thanks for the info. It is not wireless and I didn't even think of someone possibly adding a router, or later if things change. I have a few more questions but I will ask only if I can't find the answers in these other threads. Thanks a bunch!

FYI, this is the thread I was mainly refering to: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...r=1#post703035

BTW, just notice my previous post was my 1000th!!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss