Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of getting a cert? Read this first.

When you say degree route, is that a bachelors ?
    If so, that would be the right thing to do because that is typically a requirement these days.

If it is a graduate degree, I would say I would invest in certifications instead.

What our organization pushes is constant or lifelong learning and experience. Simply stated, they want the formal education - in regards to a Bachelors, Masters, etc, PLUS certifications, as needed, PLUS on-going experience. HR can perform a checklist for some candidates, however, the 1-on-1 time is what will truly determine the merit of a candidate. The degrees and certs are milestones on the journey to lifelong learning, not ending points, and they serve to hone experience gained in life and on the job.

So what the hell do I mean? To compete in the global market for IT - and probably other industries as well, you don't need one or the other, in terms of a degree or cert, you need any and everything, as many tools in your toolbox that you can fit: the degree(s), certification(s), and the experience. On top of all that, you need to build and hone the interpersonal skills and knowing a few foreign languages doesn't hurt either. Hence lifelong learning and experience.

On your mark, get set, go!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Sure, yes, your objective should be a combination of a BS + technical graduate degree + certifications + masters.

However, if you are in the process of establishing priorities and seeking what you have to do first, I would:

1. Get a BS degree in a technical field.
    2. Work, then study for relevant security certifications.
    3. If you need and you can afford, invest $5,000-$6,000 in security related training. That is a small investiment when compared to a cost of a masters degree.

4. Get a full-time job and hopefully let your employer sponsor your masters degree.

I am saying that because I've spent so far $15,000 in 2/3 of a masters, then I got a job offer from another employer willing to pay 100% of expenses towards a degree. The total cost of my program is $50,000.00. I think an individual can become marketable with BS + experience + certs then later get a masters. Rarely job ads require a masters. So it has been more like nice to have, but not a requirement (yet?).