A quick question about MSN hotmail.

Thread: A quick question about MSN hotmail.

Question A quick question about MSN hotmail.

Hi all, i was wondering if there was a way in hotmail/msn to search for people by giving their names? I don't mean those who have a public profile, but anyone who has a .net passport or hotmail account. I know a couple of years ago there was something like that in the messenger, you can't get their email adress but you send the an invitation with a small message and they get your email adress. Is something like that still available?

Thanks in advance..
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

I suggest you check out the "member profiles" facilities but I would guess that you cannot these days.

but you send the an invitation with a small message and they get your email adress
    That would be a great way to spam people wouldn't it?

I do recall that in the old days you could do this sort of thing with most mail providers. Spammers have put an end to that, so the ones that I am aware of require the owner of the account to initiate the contact.

You might like to look at buddy lists perhaps, as I have not used hotmail for a long time. I am also unsure of the differences between the free and pay for versions.

Thanks nihil, where are those member profiles?
    What are buddy lists? are they my contact list in the messenger?

-thanks
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)

Sorry,

It would be called "contact list" in most mailing applications. The "buddy list" is more IM terminology, although mail and instant messaging have been pretty much integrated for a while.

I don't know about the member profiles. You will have to log in and have a look around all the options.............it might even be accessible through the address book?

As I mentioned, I have not used Hotmail for several years.

Once again, there is probably a difference between the paid and free versions.

Thanks, Anyone around here with a paid version of hotmail to tell if it has such feature?