Thread: Question about Netlibrary.com's ebooks

Question about Netlibrary.com's ebooks

I don't know if anyone has used netlibrary with linux but I came across a problem viewing the ebooks. I am running SuSE Linux 10, Firefox 1.5, I have Adobe Reader installed. My problem is when I try to view the ebooks it asks me download nlReader.dll. When I download the file it asks me to save to disk or to open with whatever program. I hope my question is clear, but if it isn't please let me know. Thanks for any help or advice you all give me.

P.S.
    It's netlibrary.com and it's a website that has free ebooks you can view.
    \"They have the internet on computers now?\"

Hi,
    I'm thinking that SUSE 10.0 came with an earlier version of Firefox and you upgraded to 1.5. Is this correct? I believe you were asking about Firefox 1.5.3 in another thread. If you did upgrade from an earlier version of Firefox, did you compile and install from source?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Ya SuSE Linux 10 came with like Firefox 1.0.8 or something like that, and so I googled for a newer version in the rpm format and found 1.5.0.1 and installed it with yast2. Now I found out that there are some crititical updates needed for this version too. Now I try going to the check for updates in Firefox and its not highlighted and I can't figure out how to update it manually. Im stuck! frustrated. Oh and no I didn't compile from source just used the rpm and used yast2.

Ok, some questions:
    1)Have you tried Adobe Reader with pdfs from other sites, or just netlibrary.com? Go ahead and test it on a pdf from another site? Does it work?
    2) If not, was it working before you upgraded?
    3) Do you still have Firefox 1.0.8 on your system?
    (Go to /usr/lib and see if there is a folder named /usr/lib/Firefox-1.0.8 or something like that.)

What may have happened is that your installation of a newer Firefox version broke your Adobe Reader setup. Go ahead and answer these questions if you will. I'll check back in the morning, but I've got to go to bed for now
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1) I have some pdfs that I downloaded that work just fine. It works on
    other sites though.
    2)I don't know if it worked before I upgraded because I just recently installed Suse 10 and wanted everything to date.
    3)Firefox1.0.8 isn't around anymore or at least I didn't find it on my computer.
    I hope this helps...
    Thanks for the help so far and good night!

Hi,
    Well, if it works on pdfs on other sites, it's not broken So much for that theory. Do a google search for " download nlReader.dll." The first four entries talk a little about this same error you're getting but with Macs. You might want to try emailing netlibary.com and asking them for help as this seems to be a problem with their particular site.

About your update issue. It might be a good idea to just install the updates from YOU instead of trying to manually update. This will mean that you will not have the latest packages. But I think if you manually update a package then you will have to manually update that package from then on. I think SUSE has a policy of usually only providing security and stability updates once they release a new version. This is because of the danger of breaking a system with an incompatible update. You have to make a choice between the convenience and stability of just updating the older programs for security and stability issues or the desire to have the latest packages and the inconvenience of having to manually update them and possible breaking the system. If your willing to take the risk it's ok, but you have to know what you're doing, so that you can make repairs if you break your system.

Case in point, last night (Btw, I am not using SUSE but anothe distro) I used YUM (an update tool) to update my system. This morning when I started up my computer after the GRUB bootscreen went by my bootup stopped. There was just an "x" shaped cursor on a black screen. I couldn't switch to another TTY, I couldn't reboot, nothing. What must of happened is one of those updates messed up my system. I was able to use CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill my X-server, and after that the system started up normally. But now, I'll have to take the time to try to fix it (if I can) if I want it to work normally from now on (or unless I want to manually kill my X-server every time I boot up). Just an example of what I was talking about above.

OH God that sucks! I'm sorry to hear that preacherman! I found out that your right about everything you said and I guess I am just going to let SuSE update itself when it wants. And let me know if you need any help fixing your problem,
    I don't know if I can be of much help but I can try.
    THanks,
    Viral

Hi,
    About the updates. I think you still have to configure the automatic updates with YOU.

Btw, SUSE has online forums, here is one: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/
    And an IRC channel: irc.freenode.org #suse

Thanks so much for your kind offer to help me out with my problem. But I may just live with this until SUSE 10.1 comes out. I've been thinking of installing it and checking it out. Hang in there and don't let the learning curve throw you.

*************EDIT***********************************
    I think my problem comes from a kernel update. Booted into my old kernel that YUM left, and it's working fine. A lot of people are having the same trouble.