Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: spysubtract (intermute)

spysubtract (intermute)

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! I HAVE SUSPICIOUS TMP FILES IN APPLICATION DATA/INTERMUTE/SPYSUBTRACT. CONTENT IS SO SO STRANGE AND I HAVE TO KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM. PLEASE HELP...

AOs Resident Troll
    Have Trend Micro installed per chance??

Google seach

http://www.intermute.com/products/spysubtract.html

Looks like a dumping place for spyware file found on your machine.....

Not sure how trend manages them....but I bet you you can clear them using the Trend Antispyware app????

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

A simple google search found that Spycontract is the new name for Trend Micro Anti-Spyware". I've never used it myself, so as long as you installed it I would assume it's legitimately suposed to be there. If not I suggest uninstalling it through add/remove programs then using Spybot-S&D and an some antivirus software of your choice and doing a scan of everything just to be sure your all clean.

The contents of the TMP files may be strange because it might have spyware in quarantine instead of deleting them, and I could only imagine the names or content of the spyware itself.

Hope this helps.

Sources:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/spysubtract.html
    http://www.spybot.info/

AOs Resident Troll
    OFF TOPIC//

Jennifer.....lay off the cap lock

It is considered shouting....and rude in a forum.

oh yeah....and welcome to AO

MLF

I'M SURE YOUR RIGHT. PROBLEM IS - TREND HAS ASSURED ME THAT THE ACTIVITY RECORDED THERE IS VALID BUT THEY WON'T HELP ME EXTRACT DATES FOR THE ACTIVITY, THEY SAY THAT SPYSUBTRACT IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED. YEAH I SHOULD PROBABLY GIVE UP BUT IF THE ACTIVITY RECORDED THERE IS VALID AS THEY SAY, THEN I NEED TO DO SOMETHING DRASTIC. (SERIOUSLY!) ALL I NEED IS THE DATES AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO GET THIS FILE DECRYPTED ( IS THAT THE RIGHT WORD?) HONESTLY, IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO KNOW IF SOMEONE WHO LIVES HERE GENERATED THESE FILES. PLEASE HELP ME.

So sorry about the caps. Maybe I am shouting but I don't mean to, I'm just a little desperate at this point...

Greeting's

It would help if you can give us more information about your system. Like the OS, AV, other anti-malware software's on your system, is your system updated ? Do you have a firewall ?
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

AOs Resident Troll
    Try view, details on the folder.....should give you some modified\created dates???

There has to be some way of removing these files....or else eventually your harddrive will fill up

And that is very bad....very very bad.

What are you trying to do...get dates??? So if you knew it was trend files....what are you REALLY asking

MLF

PS...lay of the caps...your gonna get negged

Again, sorry about caps. Don't mean to shout. I have windows xp and have all the firewalls etc activated that came with the package except I uninstalled Norton because it interfered with bellsouth broadband (?)... I have downloaded xoftspy and adware. I probably need to get more protection but that's another issue for now.
    What I really have to know is when this activity took place - it appears to be over a long period as the files are very large but I performed a destructive recovery - reloaded factory settings from the harddrive on 3/24/06, so...could anything have survived that? Dumb question, but it's so strange - if you could see the files you'd understand.
    Do I need to get some sort of file opener? I don't know what I need but I hope someone does.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...yes a factory reset probably dont format ...so those files would survive.

If you are not running Trend Micro or Intermute..why not just delete them????

Do any of your other applications find spyware\malware on your machine???

MLF