Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS support site

AOs Resident Troll

MS support site

I am trying to trouble shoot a serial port issue on a new XP machine...where I think it is detecting the serial device as a serial mouse

In NT\2000 you could just edit the boot.ini.....I think you need a reg hack for XP???

I try to get to the KB

...blank page...no errors???

Any one else having this issue with http://support.microsoft.com

Or is it just me...

Looks like its gonna be one of those days

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Not sure if this is your issue morgan, but I seem to have no problem. Try the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309800/en-us

Cheers:
    DjM

AOs Resident Troll
    Well thanks...

But this is what I get

Can you cut and paste the article for me

Many thanks

Mlf

Here ya go dear:

Serial Mouse Is Not Detected During Windows XP Setup
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 309800
    Last Review : January 20, 2006
    Revision : 2.0
    This article was previously published under Q309800
    SYMPTOMS
    When you install Windows XP from a command prompt, Setup may not detect your serial mouse, but you may be able to complete Setup by using your keyboard.
    CAUSE
    This issue can occur if your mouse is connected to a Belkin OmniView serial-port switch box.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, contact Belkin to inquire about the availibility of a fix for this issue.

To work around this issue, connect your mouse directly to the serial port on your computer before you install Windows XP.
    MORE INFORMATION
    For more information on compatible hardware for Windows XP, consult the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). This is a compilation of computers and computer hardware that have been extensively tested with Windows for stability and compatibility. Microsoft Product Support Services uses the HCL to determine whether or not a computer is supported for use with a Windows operating system. The latest HCL is available from the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)
    The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional for Itanium-based systems
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Back to the top

Keywords: kbhardware kbprb KB309800
    If this isn't what you need, tell me what keywords to search for and I can see what I can find.

Cheers:
    DjM

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Mistress LeFay:

I think this is what you are looking for.

NOTE:

Note that Microsoft Windows XP also includes the fixed Serenum.sys file; you must edit the registry as described in the "Resolution" section for Windows XP also.
    SYMPTOMS
    When you are using a Windows 2000-based computer, a serial device may be detected as a serial mouse.
    Back to the top Back to the top

CAUSE
    This problem can occur because most of the devices that are detected as serial mice that are some other type of device constantly send data to the serial port which causes the detection code to incorrectly identify the device as a serial mouse.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000 and then update the registry as instructed below. For additional information about the latest service pack for Windows 2000, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    260910 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260910/EN-US/) How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
    The English-language version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date Time Version Size File name
    ------------------------------------------------------
    1/17/2001 03:48p 5.0.2195.3156 13,936 Serenum.sys

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

After you apply the hotfix or the service pack, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). To do this, click Start, click Run, type regedt32 in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

2. For instructions on how to identify the Enumerator, DeviceID, and InstanceID for your COM Port refer to the More Information section below:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Enumerator\DeviceID\InstanceID\Device Parameters
    Note that there is one InstanceID for each port.

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
    Value Name: SkipEnumerations
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Radix: Hexidecimal
    Value: 0 through FFFFFFFE
    Note that a value of zero (0) disables the feature and device detection can resume. Each time that Plug and Play does an enumeration, it counts down one, and when it counts down to zero, it re-enumerates the hardware and then starts counting down again from the registry value. When you reboot the computer, Plug and Play starts the count again at the value that you typed.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

WORKAROUND
    To work around this problem, allow the device to be detected incorrectly, use Device Manager to disable the device that is not the port to which the device is attached, and then reboot your computer. When you do this, the port works correctly and the incorrectly detected device is disabled.

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3. After you install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, you must edit the registry as described in the "Resolution" section of this article.

Note that Microsoft Windows XP also includes the fixed Serenum.sys file; you must edit the registry as described in the "Resolution" section for Windows XP also.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I think Tiger got it.

Cheers:
    DjM

AOs Resident Troll
    Ok

I have a brand new XP pro machine ....P4, 1gig RAM DDRAM, Elitegroup 945P-A MB

We have a application that uses a serial connection to communicate with equipment that we manufacture....

When we try and communicate to this equipment we get " port is already open"

Although its not...there are no other serial devices

I think XP is detecting the device a s a serial mouse ( NT\2000 used to do this with UPSes)

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas....

Could it be the firewall??

Am going to try changing resources in the BIOS....

Any ideas are appreciated

MLF

How about this one Morgan:

Error Message: "Port in Use" or "Port Already Open"
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 168222
    Last Review : July 28, 2001
    Revision : 1.0
    This article was previously published under Q168222
    SYMPTOMS
    When you attempt to start a communications program, you may receive one of the following error messages:
    Error: port in use

OpenComm: Port already open
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if Rnaapp.exe is active in memory.
    RESOLUTION
    To work around this issue, follow these steps: 1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Close Program dialog box.
    2. Click Rnaapp to select it, and then click End Task.
    3. Start your communications program.

MORE INFORMATION
    When you finish using a communications program and close the connection, Rnaapp.exe is still running and the port remains unavailable to non-TAPI programs.

Rnaapp.exe is left in memory to allow TAPI programs to open faster. Rnaapp.exe is eventually unloaded from memory (unless Dial-Up Networking Server is set to allow caller access), but it may take 10-15 minutes.
    Cheers:
    DjM

AOs Resident Troll
    Geez....you guys are good

Will try that Djm...thanks

Tiger thanks so much....but in XP Pro this path does not exist

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Enumerator
    me thinks MS need to update thier articles

Thanks again

MLF

AOs Resident Troll
    OK....found it

User is admin (had to be in 2000 for custom app to run...havent fully tested with XP yet....XP is new to our production machines)

Brand new shiny machine...super duper fast.

User is somewhat computer savy.............configures apc ups ( all machines and network are hooked into battery backups due to power issues here).....which isnt physically hooked up to the machine (other then power).....by default uses "serial" port to communicate

How I found it........sat at the computer with task manager open and started disabling processes.....ups.exe was the culprit.

Just thought I would let you know........

I need wine

Thanks for all your help

MLF