Current Wingate lists

Thread: Current Wingate lists

Current Wingate lists

Hey all,

Doing some research on Wingates and have found some good info. Most of the information I find seems to be a few years old and I am not sure how much Wingates are used anymore?

I have scoured the web looking for a current list of Wingates that are in use or can be used and have tried the IRC method of finding them, but with not much luck.

Are wingates still heavily in use? If so can anyone provide a list of current wingates.

I have a client I am working with and rather then me go straight in, I want to educate them on the use of wingates for hiding the real attacker on networks.

If wingates are not heavily in use anymore, what is the modern day equivelent?

I would really like to find a few wingates that I can use to chain then, for my own knowledge and experiance as well.

Thanks for any help!!!
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Hmmm, telnet redirectors are pretty fing useless these days. It's a cleartext protocol for one, which most places won't allow anymore by policy. Second, regulatory compliance squishes this protocol as well.

Also, since it is a cleartext protocol, you can see this activity from a mile away. It's no longer an effective technique unless the network you're on is managed by Bill & Ted's excellent admins.

And finally, using it as a proxy/NAT device is also easy to track down and isn't very stealthy.

As for modern day replacements, simply google for them and you'll have an ocean of tools to sift through.

Oh yeah, and just because old versions of Wingate doesn't support logging, don't think there is no way to find the source.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks for the reply TH13.

I know its pretty insecure as far as it being plain text, and even though you go through and chaning 6 or so of them there is still a possibility of you being tracked down. Just wanted to try it out for nostalgic reasons..lol

Any programs you recommend in particular? I could go and google it and try a bunch of different ones, but dont want to reinvent the wheel...lol

What do you suggest as a modern day telnet proxy? or equivilent?

Thanks for your help so far :-)
    -Kruptos

Nope. Here's why.

Proxies were never built to "hide" users in the attacker sense. It drives me nuts when people buy into that crap. I'm not giving you crap, just something that comes to mind when I think of wingates.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just Another Geek
    Wingate is sooooo pre Internet Connection Sharing
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yeah, I can remember playing with it around 91, 92.

In today's environment, it's obsolete.

--Th13

Ok, so from a standpoint of connecting to a remote PC and interactive command line access. what recommendations do you have? I mean as far as anonimity goes?

I am not familiar with what tools are currently available to support this. I can search google, but would like some recommendations from the seasoned experts :-)

Thanks again!!
    -Kruptos