Java and Linux going hand in hand

Thread: Java and Linux going hand in hand

Java and Linux going hand in hand

Sun plans to make the JRE, or java in general more compatible with the open source operating systems. I have not had much experience with Linux, so I don't know of any problems with java, but I think that this is a good change. What do you guys think?

Check out this article
    there's always a way in...

I don't think they are talking about making Sun Java more compatible with Linux in the sense that people are having operational and technical problems with it. What they are referring to is the licensing aspect. Basically, when you open source an application, you are giving up your right to control what happens to it (except that you can keep other people from patenting it). You can also enforce the demand that anyone who distributes or modifies and distributes the program gives the recipient the same rights as they have. Sun Java is not currently shipping under such a license.

Some Linux distributions (Fedora for sure) will not ship Sun Java with their distribution because it is proprietary or "closed source" software. There is an open source version of Java in development (Fedora does ship with this) as an alternative.

I recently read an article about how some people are uncomfortable with what they see as an over dependence of OpenOffice (an open source alternative to Microsoft Office) on Sun Java. If Sun were for some reason to stop distributing their version of Java for Linux.... well, maybe you get the picture.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

yes, I know, I did not word my message as I should have. I think it's a good thing. and I do see your point (about the overdependance on OpenOffice)
    there's always a way in...

Moved to OSs.

If it's true that would be a big deal for linux developers.

If Sun were for some reason to stop distributing their version of Java for Linux.... well, maybe you get the picture.
    That is the main reason Linux hasn't permeated deeper into the marketplace. Along with the fact it is JUST NOW getting powerful enough for the user mass outside of dude who play Dungeons and Dragons, college geeks and hackers of all walks. Sun could have a change in directors and pull the whole thing someday or start charging because someone gets the great idea that poeple will pay for it over microsoft.. Not to mention good open source projects have just one day out of the blue... stopped. OR good products haven't been worked on in years because the author loses interest or disapears. I can code but I am not nearly as good as these core men and women who eat my code for breakfast. Luckily the main stream apps like PHP Apache mySQL snort gaim kde gnome etc have thousands of developers hacking the code. Along with the kernal of course. Hmm I have been using gimp alot lately. I am motivated to go buy a shirt today. You help out the project and you get to sport some cool swag.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Along with the fact it is JUST NOW getting powerful enough for the user mass outside of dude who play Dungeons and Dragons, college geeks and hackers of all walks.
    I beg to differ. Linux was always insanely powerful, especially with the standard subset of GNU tools that comes with (almost) all distros. The reason Linux is getting popular today IMHO, has more to do with the development of GUIs (GNOME and KDE), good DBMS programs (MySQL, along with the Linux version of Oracle) and other vital software. Also, a free OS looks like a good option today when compared to Microsoft's increasingly painful anti-piracy measures.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I agree with you. I meant the softtware is getting powerful enough to mimick windows. It takes alot of code and programing to make installation very easy. Not that the kernal was ever underpowered. Linux is much faster and more efficient than Windows. That was, until you loaded a GUI that often crashed. No biggy with Linux though you just reload the GUI but it is getting much more powerful in that software is getting complicated enough to make it foolproof. Anyone can take a modern linux distro and have it detect hardware, USB, modems, network cards etc.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.