Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Problems

This is indeed a weird one.

Take your machine around to a friend's and try it there. If it doesn't work then I would take it back to the shop and tell the guy you want to buy a cable that works. He probably has loads of spare ones rescued from dead machines and monitors (I certainly have )

The two things that I do find strange are the fact that you get the MoBo light, and you do not seem to have any problems with other domestic appliances.

I would first check that the voltage setting is correct.

I give up, and take it to the local PC guys. They plug it into their workstation with their own power cord,
    I missed this earlier..

They Pluged What into their Workstation? I had assumed that what was meant was the System was plugged into their Mains power and KEyboard, mouse and MONITOR.. ..but the wording would imply that Kitten_Hurling had her monitor pluged in not the tower.. but I is being picky saying this,,, and I am sure that my first assumption was correct..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

It's not a fullly installed pc right now. Basically, right now it's a MoBo, CPU, Heatsink, and a PSu in a case. I haven't put anything else in yet, and I won't until I can get the heatsink fan to work properly, dangit! When I said their workstation, what I meant was they took my case with said hardware, and plugged it into their outlet with their power cable.

Ok NP ...

did you get to see how they started it.. i suspect it was jut hitting the front panel button.. or did they reach inside trhe case..
    My suspicion ..faulty Power/start button.. when I suspect this I will use a jumper lead to bypass the switch...
    One other possability faulty CMOS backup battery.. this will give similar symptoms, and Ive had the B's intermittantly allow the PC to start..
    Bit strange on a new setup..but not impossable
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thumbs up

Well, I took it to the shop again. On close inspection, we found that the wiring to the power button was indeed faulty. It's working fine now. Well, as fine as can be expected for now, anyway. Thanks for all your help.