Thread: Convicted hacker

Convicted hacker

Got this shown to me by a friend. Thought it might spark some interest. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/4977134.stm
    This ain\'t about me im better them you\'ll ever be. You dont concern me i know you\'ll never get to me. You want a shot? I can take your best bring it on. - Slayer
    Gentoo Linux

Bollix,

Plain and simple.................... truly classified information is not kept on a network with internet access.

If he had done such a thing (penetrated a secure network), he would have violated the UK Official Secrets Acts and would be already be serving time............. about 11 years I would guess

The relationship between the MoD, NATO and the DoD is such that one organisation's secrets are those of the others as well.

How in gods name do you use wordpad as a messenging client to?

i2c

edit: I suppose can save to it and then open it? is that what he means by chatting over wordpad?

i2c

Good question, but hard to answer. I would guess it was something like that Windows NT 4.0 utility where you could send messages to another workstation on the network?

A bit like the old "send break message" command on IBM mid-range machines?

Well, from what i read he was using "pc-anywhere" to control the remote pc and he was caught because some one was walking past the computer and saw the mouse moving all over the screen.
    So maybe they had wordpad open and where able to see what each other typed?
    This ain\'t about me im better them you\'ll ever be. You dont concern me i know you\'ll never get to me. You want a shot? I can take your best bring it on. - Slayer
    Gentoo Linux

Well, from what i read he was using "pc-anywhere" to control the remote pc and he was caught because some one was walking past the computer and saw the mouse moving all over the screen.
    Yeah, and I believe in the tooth fairy and the Man in the Moon as well

Lol, does sound just a "little" far fetched doesnt it.
    Gentoo Linux

Hey Trent,

Firstly I don't think that this bloke is "the full shilling"

Secondly, I don't think that we will ever find out the truth as it would be too bloody embarassing for the powers that be?

My immediate problem would be that AFAIK you need to set up permissions for remote management software, as well as having it loaded on the target machine?

Also, once you have taken control, then you have that machine and the local user is excluded, so how could any "dialogue" have taken place?

"There is something rotten in the state of Denmark" (Hamlet)

I haven't read all the above posts, just skimmed through them, but something like RealVNC could have done the job quite nicely, and it is even possible that realvnc was already installed on the systems, i know of a few admins who use realvnc to help them manage their networks, and I have used notepad to chat to people when I am using VNC to help them fix their PC's

edit:
    GM: No, the graphical remote viewer works frame by frame. It's a Java application, so there's nothing to save on your hard drive, or at least if it is, only one frame at a time.

SK: So did you get the one frame?

GM: No.

SK: What happened?

GM: Once I was cut off, my picture just disappeared.

SK: You were actually cut off the time you were downloading the picture?

GM: Yes, I saw the guy's hand move across.
    This would fit VNC quite nicely

edit2: My bad I should have watched it first... he says he was using this http://www.remotelyanywhere.com/
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way