Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home router behaving crazy

Banned

home router behaving crazy

i have 2 computers connected to a netgear (wired) router

the problem is that when i try to transfer files between the 2 of them the connection is really really slow..

100 MB is taking an hour. the weird thing is that i can actualy download faster from the internet which is connected to the same router. anyone seen this before?

What OS are the computers running and what program/protocol are you use to transfer the files?
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    check your cables, sometimes a lag in the connections in caused by bad cabling. reseat all your cables and make sure that there isnt any rips in them etc...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Are your NIC cards 10/100? are they set to full, half or auto for duplexing? What about the interfaces on the router?

This sounds very much like a mismatched duplex setting. I'd start there. Be sure that all interfaces have the same duplex settings otherwise, life will be painful for you.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Banned
    win2k both

where do i set duplex settings..

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Control Panel > Network Connections > NIC > Properties

Click Configure on the connection properties window. Click the advanced tab. Select Duplexing. Look at the setting.

On your router, check the networking section.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Banned
    It seems that both NIC's have the option of being set to full-duplex/100, therefore I forced them both to that setting.

The router, although it doesn't have any options in the firmware, according to a manufacturer (netger) is also capable of doing fd100.

The speed didn't increase one bit and now the WAN is ocasionally timing out. WTF? Should I set it to half-d 100.

Also, what is the proper procedure for making changes this way? (should I shut down the systems first &/or reboot the router)

by the way, cables are fine

...try a different router.

edit -- a Netgear router w/o a firmware update option? Must be pretty old (or pretty new). I've got an old Netgear 814-b wireless that gave me fits until I updated the firmware. Might double-check that firmware update.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

hey

Check that you aren't using one straight-through cable and one crossover cable.

I had exactly the same thing a year or so ago. Try replacing your cables with a new pair.

Cheers

Sean
    If a packet falls in an empty network, - does it make any noise?

If you are getting duplex mismatches you should be able to : (don't have Win2k box to test but in this case i think the flags are the same)

start -> run -> cmd
    ---> netstat -se

The 's' is for protocol statistics and the 'e' throws in ethernet. Look for Discards/Errors. Also note that you can add an integer to the end of it to have it run at an interval of that integer in seconds. This would be a useful thing to try while you are transferring to get an idea of whether or not you are receiving errors and at what layer...

Out of curiosity what protocol are you using for the transfer ?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)