Thread: Static IP?

Static IP?

Do I have to have a static IP to run a CNS server? Im wanting to run a small hosting at home. Some IIS websites and some Apache. 10 differant domain names total. Also - How can i set up said configuration?

i ment DNS server......

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to have static IP's to run websites and/or services such as FTP, email, etc. However, you can still operate websites and said services from a dynamic IP address using what is known as Dynamic DNS.

A good place to start for more information regarding DDNS is:
    http://www.dyndns.org

Hope this helps a bit...
    - Maverick

Ok - im already using a dynamic dns service. What im thinking - if i register each domain DNS to use my dynamic dns provider - each domain request will be routed to my ip on port 80. How can i pass off domain A to my windows server, domain B to the ubuntu server and domain C to another windows server.

I guess i should have explained this in the first place.

Thanks...

Just Another Geek
    Can be done but it isn't easy as all the domains end up on the same IP and port. So a simple (firewall/router based) port redirection wouldn't work. You could redirect the requests using a reverse proxy though. You can redirect the request to the right server based on the URL used. But it's easier/simpler to use Virtual hosts but that means running all domains on the same webserver...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ok, I see... So essentially, your hosting all of these sites behind one IP address (in this case, it is either dynamic or static)? Not knowing your exact network setup, I can tell you that what you are wanting to do *might* be possible.

The way I see it, you'd have to allow your firewall to handle the requests for different domains - in other words, all of your DNS entries for your domains are pointing to your one ip address, whether it be static or by use of DDNS. On your end, your firewall analyzes the request and routes to the proper internal server - all done by rulesets created by you on your firewall.

I'm assuming that you are running a firewall, protecting your internal network? Could you provide some details regarding that setup?
    - Maverick