Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: home router behaving crazy

I must agree. I think it sounds like a layer 1 or layer 2 problem. Swap out the cables on both PCs and see if the performance improves on the transfer.

Most of the time if the duplex setting and tranfer rates are set to auto they will negotiate the most optimal settings. Is there a delay when you ping between that machines? I mean outside of the normal LAN delay?

How many protocols do you have bound to the card? In most cases it should just be TCP/IP, but I have seen problems where people had Appletalk, IPX/SPX, TCP/IP and every thing else under the sun. Additional traffic from these protocols may cause delay.

Let me know the above info and ill see what else I can think of.
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Banned
    Thanx for your replies BUT,

The cables are OK. I bought "better" cables. It said something like ("Fast - Cat5" 500)

I am doing this by mouting a shared folder (god... i hate to call them folders, they ARE directories) and doing drag&drop in GUI. Again both are win2k. The netgear router is fairly new

NetgearRP614v2

THE FIRMWARE IS UPGRADED TO THE LATEST VERSION!!! What I meant was that there's no half-duplex / full-duplex setting in the options of the router.

However I can force NIC's on both systems to anything I want.

Will I get better preformance if I do half-duplex 100MB? or even 10MB

I get better WAN download speeds and the WAN port is only 10MB!!!

phishphreak... what is the proper procedure to set & reset these settings .. should I shut down the whole network or can I just change settings on the fly and it will work?

ok...

inbuilt firewall blocking one of the M$ networking ports between IPs?

or...

is there a "client separation"=on setting on the router that's causing problems?

Sean
    If a packet falls in an empty network, - does it make any noise?

can't remember and can't be bothered to look this time of night, but is there a QOS service installed on 2K, like the default for XP?

if there is, try deinstalling that on both clients

Sean
    If a packet falls in an empty network, - does it make any noise?

In application 100Fdx is going to be the fastest you can get if it works. Did you look at any of the things i mentioned earlier?

You should be able to make the changes on the fly and not need to reboot anything. Newer routers are usually auto-sensing when it comes to the line speed and it may not be there in the GUI as a setting. If you really think that you need to change it on the router you may be able to make changes via commandline/telnet.

Alos, how did the output look from the netstat -se command? lots of errors?
    -Kruptos

Also...

I dont remember if it was mentioned but you can take a crossover cable and directly connect the 2 PCs together and transfer the files.

Obviously this is not the long term solution but it will rule out if it is a problem with the router or not.

Directly connect the 2 PCs with the crossover cable, try to transfer the files and see if there is any difference. If the problem goes away it may be your router, if the problem persists then it is most likely a PC to PC issue.

Let me know what happens :-)
    -Kruptos

The full duplex just means its using one pair for transmit and one pair for receive so in theory no collisions and better performance. Hooking the two pc's together with a cross-over will force the connection to be half duplex, which will hurt performance since they will have to share the same pair for transmit/receive.

In my experience, using netbios to transfer files has always been hideously inefficient. Perhaps you could setup IIS on one of the two servers and enable FTP for a bit (make sure you setup directory security so that its only available on the local LAN from the other system). In the past, this is usually what I'd do to transfer a large amount of files since it was a little more effecient at sending the data. You could also accomplish the same thing with netcat or if you were worried about encrypting the sessions, could perhaps setup SSH or cryptcat...

Just a thought, but IMHO, your performance issues lay more with the protocol than anything else...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    and where would i get IIS dear sir?

to quote "road closed" ... another win boxes down the toilet
    install: debian

AOs Resident Troll
    W2K or xp pro have IIS as an option to install...(actually with 2000 I think it installs by default and you have to uninstall it)

When I have a problem with nics.....I update the drivers first(uninstall, reinstall,updated drivers) next replace cables, next replace nic, then replace switch\hub\router.

Switch out the router.....see if it still happens.....then the nics....

Maybe you have a bad nic on one of the machines...

just some things to try.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Blast From the Past
    borrow a router from work for the night or ask if a friend can bring over theres...

i dont know very much about networking but i remember our old belkin router got really stupid before it let out a puff of smoke
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger