Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Data Recovery

Antionline Herpetologist
    Heh, can't use the DOS/Windows Fdisk, it fubars the disk and doesn't allow you to set geometry. Also, the partition is a windows partition (don't yet know whether FAT or NTFS), so that isn't an issue. I'm probably going to end up installing slack and playing, but I dunno, maybe a live cd will be enough.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I have also used "GetDataBack for NTFS" did a 95% recovery on a formatted HDD that sum nut started to use fucnose software under windbloze..

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

I keep it and Badcopy Pro in my tool kit.. helps for 70% of the HDD data problems I encounter..

There are better.. Like the forensics tools.. these I want to play with (thanks for the links and ideas)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

A venomous reptile suggested this:

http://www.roadkil.net/

You have to use the Italian language version, ,just to humour me

EDIT: Oooops, you want "unstoppable copier"

Re: Data Recovery

Originally posted here by cgkanchi
    Hey all,

Wasn't sure whether this is the right place, but what the hey. Mods, please feel free to move the thread if that's appropriate. Well, here goes...

A friend of mine who works for an architectural firm recently told me that the partition (not the hard disk itself) containing about a year and a half worth of drawings suddenly disappeared after a power failure. The boss is willing to pay an obscene amount of money to get that data back (which obviously got me interested). Now, he's already given it to two data recovery companies and they've said that they can't do it. However, my experience with local data recovery companies has been that they're quite shitty and rely on a single tool that may or may not have the features required to recover that particular client's data.
    Also, from my experience with power failures, I believe the most likely problem (since the other partitions on the hard disk still work) is corruption of the partition table. My approach is probably going to be something like this:

1. Get the hard disk and another identical one (same make, model, capacity) from the client.
    2. Boot into linux (from a 3rd hard disk or a live cd) and dd everything over from one drive to the other. Now I don't have to worry about fux0ring the client's data.
    3. Run some sort of a partition discovery program and get the offsets for the partitions.
    4. Enter these into fdisk to recreate the partition table.
    5. Recover any data.

However, since the data recovery firms gave up (and I can't believe they'd be incompetent enough to not be able to rebuild a partition table), I'd like an idea of what else could go wrong with a hard disk after a power failure that would cause it to lose a partition and possible strategies for recovering the data. Also, I lost pretty much my entire toolkit in the great hard disk crash of 2006 (go figure!), and I haven't done this in a while (last time was in a similar situation, but with my personal hard disk and that was a good 3 years or so back. I think I made a post in the forums about it somewhere), so I'd like some tool recommendations. You are welcome to point me to another thread with tool listings, since I can't seem to find hogfly's forensic toolkit thread.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Hi
    I had experienced the same thing last month, one of my friend has suggested me to use this tool

http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/F...-Recovery.html

As it would recover from the partition whether it is inaccessible, deleted, formatted etc. To save the file purchase its full version, it hardly costs you $79.

Try it. Really worthful!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Recovery Guru

recoveryguru

As a general principle, if the date of a post is flashing, it usually means that it is out of date, and most probably resolved. Some people on this site do get a little upset if a newcomer then posts to the thread

I am not one of those, and would point out that the title of the post "Data Recovery" is appropriate for your post, in order to help people searching for solutions in the future. I have not had chance to evaluate any of the software, but thanks for the contribution.

If there is a trial version, I shall give it a go. I just happen to have recently obtained a 1.7Gb and a 30Gb pair of drives to experiment with

I thanks for your comment nihil.

As this thread is too old, but if you permit, I would also like to share my experince with data recovery case..

As it is clear from my above statement that I have lost data in past. Due to software malfuntion.. Was on the verge of loosing my data. But while researching on the net for data recovery software. I came to know about Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS data recovery software. Indeed a good software. I don't know how many have used this product. But it acted as a life saving drugs for me. To get back my data, I simply download the demo version to test the software how it works. http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
    Demo scan the hard drive, showed the information in tree tructure form so that navigation through file is easier. Recovered data was show as marked 'deleted'.
    The best point is that we can save the scan result from the demo version, after getting the full version there is no need to start the scan again. All we have to do is to save the data.

I find it really perfect and become the fan of Stellar Phoenix Product.

I would highly recommend to those who have lost the data can try this product.

Erase this post....was my mistake....

Regards
    Last edited by 4cr0nDk; January 23rd, 2007 at 11:49 AM.

try seeing if it will recognize in Knoppix Live cd