Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Python a suitable first language?

Python a suitable first language?

Hi,
    I started with python a while ago, but i didn't keep up...
    Now i want to turn back to it, it was my second language (after some BASIC ) do you recommend me to keep up with it?
    I want it for pen testing, vuln. assesment, and maybe writing security apps.

--Thanks
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

Hey Hey,

I definately recommend it as a first language.... I use it quite extensively and it's great

If ya have any questions just ask.

Peace,
    HT

Thanks
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)

I don't know, Python is a little sensitive when it comes to whitespace, isn't it?

I myself prefer Java or C++; I'm old school like that.
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

Wink

Python is an excellent first programming language!!

It's also a great "glue" language to be used by seasoned pros.

Python is easy to read, easy to program and is object oriented and can easily do a ton of stuff with very little code.

If you want to see something significant written in Python, go to EVE online website (Space game). Somewhere on their website they report they use Stackless Python in EVE.

Stackless Python is an advanced Python, which avoids programming the "stack" which is highly used in the C Language.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Originally posted here by Arkimedes
    I don't know, Python is a little sensitive when it comes to whitespace, isn't it?

I myself prefer Java or C++; I'm old school like that.
    Java?!?!?!... Java is like death... It was a mistake from the get go and is still a mistake... Python isn't "a little sensitive" about whitespace... it's a whitespace language... meaning you don't include code in curly braces, brackets or parentheses. It's much nicer to work with.. whitespace should be used in every language, it makes it much more readable.. It's also not some horrid requirement like the semi-colon in C++ or the endless stream of document.writeline.whatever garbage in Java...

With Python you really couldn't ask for much more.. it's widely used, extremely powerful.. etc etc...

I've got a few recent posts on things I've done with Python on www.computerdefense.org... I've also got several Tutorials here on AO regarding python... I'm in the process of writing another post on Porting Perl to Python and using how easy it is to detect something (or should be) using Python.. I may provide the link when I write it..

Peace,
    HT

I would also recommend Perl to go along with Python, to me I find them to be about the same. I love Python though it very flexible.
    \"They have the internet on computers now?\"

I seem to agree with Viral on something. Python is a nice language never put more than the time to read about it in books. But, I don't diss it. I say pick whatever language you feel will keep you from throwing your computer out the window. Because in the end everyone will one day want to take a hammer to there computer after a night full of coding.

Perl however is a good language to mess with. I personally recommened it. I would say that if you are going to program choose one of the two. Either Python or Perl or whatever. One of the common mistakes I see people starting out in programming doing is trying on too many languages at one time. This creates one big problem. Languages start to smear together.

LOL your so right House, when I first started off I couldn't decide which language to start off with and I was going

nuts trying to differentiate all of them. So I started off with basic, then moved to Perl/Python, later C and C++. If your serious about programming though I have heard that it is sort of like being a linguist and that you should know as many languages as you can but focus on one at a time.

Here are some links to get you started if you haven't already bookmarked them.

www.programmersheaven.com
    www.code.box.sk
    www.hotscripts.com
    www.perlmonks.org
    www.perl.org
    www.thefreecountry.com
    www.programmingtutorials.com
    www.cprogramming.com
    www.good-tutorials.com
    www.w3schools.com

Those should get you started in the right direction, they sure did for me. Good Luck.

-Viral
    \"They have the internet on computers now?\"

Thanks for the advice guys