Let me just chime in and say that I highly recommend you continue with Python. From my experience as well as what I've heard from others, it's an excellent language. It's powerful, clean, simple, easy to learn, and object oriented. Although I haven't done enough Python coding to be able to assure you of this myself, I've had several very knowledgeable coders tell me that Python is a very "natural" language to write in.

I don't know, Python is a little sensitive when it comes to whitespace, isn't it?
"Sensitive" wouldn't be the right word. Python uses whitespace instead of curly braces to separate blocks of code. For instance, take the following C snippet:

Code:
if (1) {
        printf("Hi");
}
In Python, it would be written:

Code:
if 1:
        print "Hi"
And the interpreter knows the block ends as soon as the lines of code cease to be indented. The same holds true for functions, loop, etc.

As far as learning Perl and Python, I think if you can get Python down Perl isn't necessary. From the perspective of languages to help you learn more about security as well as coding in general, a good language to go for after Python would probably be C. Python will teach you enough to be able to get through C fairly easily, but there are a lot of reasons you might want to know C in addition to Python, not the least of which is that it's very useful in the security field.

Finally, don't forget to check out the official Python documentation for great tutorials and the likes.