Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does VPN hide p2p connection

Question Does VPN hide p2p connection

Hi,

I have setup a VPN connection between 2 pcs (using WinXp Incoming Connections). I can connect to the VPN server and browse the internet.
    I want to run p2p application, download torrents...etc but I am not sure if VPN would hide these connections. Would a system admin be able to tell that I am running p2p application if I was tunneling the connection through VPN?

Thanks

A good sys admin would certainly see the traffic, though the VPN might mask the actual app. P2P's generate a lot of volume and that's going to be a red flag.

You might check company or school policy on P2P's before you do something like that. Could cost you...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Re: Does VPN hide p2p connection

Originally posted here by thesmashest
    Hi,

I have setup a VPN connection between 2 pcs (using WinXp Incoming Connections). I can connect to the VPN server and browse the internet.
    I want to run p2p application, download torrents...etc but I am not sure if VPN would hide these connections. Would a system admin be able to tell that I am running p2p application if I was tunneling the connection through VPN?

Thanks
    Have you read the site FAQ?

No one here is going to assist you in circumventing security controls. We're the same people who have to deal with the likes of you.

That said, you'll be seen before you search for your first download. The VPN admin can see all traffic in the tunnel. Before you do something idiotic, stop. Go home and break the law with your own equipment.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Ok forget about p2p.......in case I would like to download legitimate legal material- torrents (like podcasts...etc) what would be the safest way to do that without breaking the law?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by thesmashest
    Ok forget about p2p.......in case I would like to download legitimate legal material- torrents (like podcasts...etc) what would be the safest way to do that without breaking the law?
    Uhm...downloading legitimate legal materials does not break the law. Thus the words legitimate and legal.

What are you trying to do? Not the technical "use p2p over my personal VPN tunnel". Grander; big picture; wider scope. Download the latest Podcast from hit-80's-MTV-VJ Adam Curry?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I want to download legal torrents without causing any problems. Obviously if admins see a lot of traffic they'll assume that I am downloading illegal material and I don't think they'll be checking what I am downloading before they report me. So I want to avoid all this.

AOs Resident Troll
    I guess it all depends on the AUP...Acceptable Use Policy_ of the network and internet connection you are using.

I know of some policies that you cannot use MSN while on the network....MSN is not illegal

...but it is not allowed on the network...

Seems to me that you are trying to do something and hide it from the admins of the network.....

which seems very suspicious to say the least.

Take the advice given...use your own connection and equipment....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Ya see, even if you want to DL "legal" things, if p2p is against the AUP, it makes no difference if the material is legal. The bottom line is you're going to attempt to do something that you know is wrong otherwise you wouldn't be trolling for information here.

Now, go home and do your downloading otherwise I can sense that you're going to get an avalanche of negs very soon.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Torrents are ALWAYS a lot of traffic. It's like sneakin' an 18-wheeler up and down the driveway. You can paint it to look like a racecar, but it's still a truckload. LOL.

Don't believe it? Put together three computers on your home network: two Windows boxes and a Linux box. Set up one Windows box to run torrents, one just to do some casual surfing and then run Etherape on the Linux box. You'll see there's no hiding torrents, even if you throttle back the download/upload speeds.

You're just askin' for it...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

The vpn encrypts your traffic to prevent people
    out on the net from reading it. This won't
    keep the admins at your location from
    decrypting it and knowing whether or not it
    is legitimate use of your computer, and your time.
    Assuming you are at school or at work, of course.

At home, however, enjoy yourself.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.