Thread: Less Popular Career Options

Less Popular Career Options

Does anyone know, or have a general idea, about how to become a security expert, network admin, or penetration tester for the government? (I know it's not the best question, but bear with me) I have had a quick look on some of the government websites, but much of the information is vague and not really in-depth. I don't know, maybe my search was flawed. But anyway, once out of college, that is what I would like to be. (one of the three careers above)However, if I can't get into the government ranks, I would like to get into a big corporation like HP, IBM, Microsoft, etc. What are your thoughts?
    there's always a way in...

Banned
    I'd suggest massive portscan and DOS on all the .gov TL domain + a quick credit card fraud scam.

*wink

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by unhappy
    I'd suggest massive portscan and DOS on all the .gov TL domain + a quick credit card fraud scam.

*wink
    That will get you "into" government, the same way swimming in shark infested waters with a fresh hamhock tied around you neck will get you "into" marine biology. LMFAO!

Considering your statement about college, I have a few suggestions based on an assumption of your age. I could be WAY off, so apologies if I am.
    [list=1][*]You could enlist and get a Clearance. That will just about wrap up your likelyhood to be hired doing something related to IA if you have training in the subject matter. In my personal experience, job decisions come down to the drool-factor.
    Let me explain: given 2 candidates for a position, the candidate with hands on experience, training, recommendations, and the right attitude, but lacking a security clearance, will ONLY win the job if the other candidate, lacking all qualifications except a clearance, cannot control their drooling enough to keep from damaging equipment on the job. Seriously; guys fresh out of the Air Force with no experience in my direct field can beat me every day for jobs that I've been doing for 10 years, if it comes to a clearance. Companies are not willing to pay for the process if they can hire someone to fill the slot half assed, but they can show the req was filled and the work is being done to SOME degree. (No, I'm not bitter, damnit.)
    [*]Network. Get to know people working in the industry, in the parts you want to be in (Gov't sector). Join your local ISSA, ISACA, ASIS, etc. chapters. Go to conferences. Northrup Grumman is one of the largest Gov't contracting companies in the nation; they are who you'd want to get picked up by, with no clearance or experience, cuz they are more likely than most to get those things for you.
    [*]Prayer. Hey, it worked for George W. Shrub Jr.[/list=1]
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by zencoder
    That will get you "into" government, the same way swimming in shark infested waters with a fresh hamhock tied around you neck will get you "into" marine biology. LMFAO!

ROFL!

My suggestion would be to see if your school has a "Career Services Office" or something to that extent and find out who they know.

I'm currently working an internship that I got through my local community college (I'm going to a "real" uni next semester). The intership I landed is doing desktop support for Estee Lauder (and yes, people look at me funny when I say where I'm working).

But just to repeat Zencoder, it's a lot of who you know, not what you know.

Graduate with straight A's from Harvard. But first, get born
    into a respectable northeastern establishment family, like "Bush"
    If they ever discover you were a member of AO, you're screwed.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by unhappy

*wink
    Actually, that's not a bad idea--just slightly off. Code a virus (more specifically a worm) that does some significant damage and gets airtime on national news. Instead of going to jail, you'll get to work for the government. Just make sure you're under 18 or very close to it. It's worked before.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

roflmao......*falls over*....thanks for the jokes, but the advice is nice as well...
    there's always a way in...

Go to the NSA web site... Look at careers... See what they are hiring for...

http://www.nsa.gov

Ummm, few hints:

Regaurdless of what marketing people tell you, they use a lot of Open Source tools. Get familiar with these for a start:

nmap

Nessus

Hping

IPSorcery

Hydra

Sometimes your co-workers or classmates know better than a counseler, so check those out first. If all else fails, call or Google some computer software or hardware firms and find out what are the positions they offer to protect or secure their systems.