Security Absurdity

Thread: Security Absurdity

Security Absurdity

Has anyone seen this article? What do you think?
    http://www.securityabsurdity.com/failure.php
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

AO Senior Cow-beller
    It sounds kind of alarmist. I mean, he might have a point or two in there, but it's easy to stand on the sidelines and complain about how poorly the quarterback is playing, or how bad the coach is.

I'd like more specific examples, not just some quotes or statistics from a few studies, with minimal references and backing, before I get all worked up supporting or denying what he says.

We live in a hype society. I don't give a f$ck what Brad and Angelina had for dinner at some pompous restaurant, I don't want to know who Heather Locklear is or is not sleeping with (she aint in my bed, so beyond that it doesn't matter), and I could give a rats ass if whats-his-name from American Idol is gay or not.

This article seems a bit like more of the same.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I've seen this one and many variations of similar rants. My favorite is that this paragraph shows up in each one:

Cyberspace's digital battlefield heavily favors the cyber criminal. A cyber-criminal only needs to identify a single vulnerability in a system's defenses in order to breach its security. However, information security professionals need to identify every single vulnerability and potential risk and come up with suitable and practical fix or mitigation strategy. Furthermore, the freedom, privacy and anonymity cyberspace offers, gives cybercriminals the opportunity and confidence to target victims around the world with little chance of being caught.
    There is nothing in the article that should be new to someone who has been in this sector for 2 years or more.

That said, I love a good rant every now and then. It helps the coffee go down better.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by thehorse13
    I've seen this one and many variations of similar rants. My favorite is that this paragraph shows up in each one:

There is nothing in the article that should be new to someone who has been in this sector for 2 years or more.

That said, I love a good rant every now and then. It helps the coffee go down better.

--Th13
    I didn't think it was that good. I agree, some good 'ole fashion belly-aching is always fun to participate in, but this comes across (to me, anyway) as more whiny-doom-woeful complaining.

Ok, back to the sexy non-stop high paying world of glamorous LOG REVIEWING. Take that, Tom Cruise! Our jobs PWN yours!
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Heh, yeah, there is no doubt that this is a FUD rant but when I see that the content is pure rant, I read it for comedic value as in this case.

Log review? You get to DO THAT??!!

/me crawls back to answering HD calls. LOL... j/k.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Log review.... ack. It gets to a point where it all becomes null. Another 10000 lines of alerts.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.