Thread: Any future sygate firewall updates?

Any future sygate firewall updates?

I guess seeing as symantec has acquired sygate im guessing there will no longer be updates to there firewall software am i correct?.

For a long time i have been using sygate personal firewall so if this is correct this can leave me wide open to attack seeing as there are no longer going to be updates.

If i ditch sygate what are the other alternatives for windows firewalls?.

I am usually quite choosy when it comes to windows firewalls.

I have used tiny personal firewall in the past but when i used to do many scans at pcflank.com the firewall log used to fill up and tiny personal firewall starting to hang.

I also used to use outpost but i heard that it is no longer free and i am only interested in free software firewalls.

What are your recommendations?.

I guess there is ZoneAlarm and the Windows offering.

The number of free ones has certainly declined recently

There is a pretty well maintained list at http://www.free-firewall.org
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

al1aprize

There aren't many free firewall programs left for Windows. Most of the software that was freeware has gone to a license or subscription plan - others are crippled.
    That is the from the first paragraph on the site you linked to.

The only full, general purpose free ones are the two that I mentioned. By "crippled" they mean only fully functional for a trial period

Actually, by crippled they mean that the companies took some of the features out the pro versions and made it the free version. One example is the Zonelabs ZoneAlarm free version you mentioned.
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

Antionline Herpetologist
    Wellr actually, the kerio personal firewall is a good one. IIRC, the features that do get disabled after the trial period is over are basically web-filtering features which could easily be obtained from another product. The network filtering itself remains quite full-featured even at the end of the trial period and gives you lots of control over what programs you want accessing the net and what ports those programs are allowed to use.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

well...

Yeah I liked Sygate a lot too. Great firewall, low memory usage too. Unfortunately Symantec bought the rights to the software and will not be releasing a new version. They probably just stole the technology.

They already had a press release that said they will not support any new releases of Sygate. They basically bought out the competition.... corporate bastards.

A buddy of mine tried "outpost" firewall, he loves it as a replacement for Sygate. I believe it's also open source.

Good luck