NTFS problems ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTFS problems ???

NTFS problems ???

hey all
    i got 2 harddisks, now on my 2nd hd, prob is whenever i move (not copy) files or folders to a new location, those files/folders become inaccessible, i can see them but not access them, win xp (sp2) shows Access is Denied.
    i ran windows chkdsk n partition magic's error checker, no use
    can someone help me out please, how do i get my data back

thanx

Just Another Geek
    If you move files from one partition to another you're actually copying then deleting the files.
    This means the file at the new location will get the ACL of the directory you're moving to..

If you move a file on the same partition then you're just shoveling some directory/file pointers
    around.. The file will have the same ACL as before it was moved...

So check the ACL of the moved file...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    OK... I have $5 that says the OP doesn't know what an ACL is!!!!

Funny though, the behaviour he is describing indicates that he has write and list but not read permissions since the move of the file should be made in his logged in context. The only other way I would see that occurring would be if the move were done in the system context... Which I can't see how that would ever be allowed.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    the second partition is probably EFS

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-encrypted.htm

that's the strangest thingy, it's my personal computer n i'm the admin
    n i'm movin the files in the same partition
    herez an example, i make a new folder, fine now, i jus cut it n paste it anywhere in the same drive n boom, the folder is inaccessible
    another strange thing, i now don't have the security tab in the properties, howz that

thanx

and "Use Simple File Sharing is" is disabled?

also..while yo may be the admin, and you may also be the only user, it could also be an account setting... that is your just an administrator user.. your not loggen on as Administrator.. there are some little differences...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just Another Geek
    Unlike the *nix root user you can deny the Administator in Windows access to files..

Not having the security tab probably means you're on a filesystem that doesn't support it, like FAT32..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Not having the security tab probably means you're on a filesystem that doesn't support it, like FAT32
    Then how would he get "Access Denied"? The file system wouldn't support that either...
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

1) file sharing is enabled
    2) the drive is of course NTFS

now i tried bootin into the main administrator account using the safe mode, there i did get the security tab so i added Everyone with Full control to the drive but when i restarted n logged into my account (which is in the admin group) i don't see the security tab and i'm still not able to access those folders

why dis strange behavior

YOu need to go to the advanced tab and force the permissions down through the tree. You haven't altered the permissions on the subfolder till you do that.