Thread: New Bill

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

New Bill

If this becomes law, I can't wait to see what happens.

http://news.com.com/New+data+securit...+Congress/2100
    -7348_3-6071216.html?tag=html.alert
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Links messed up... Cut and paste the second half....

As to the content...

"Quick, quick... Let's make more new laws about things we know nothing about... It'll make us look good in November..."

I wish these f$kwits would spend the time to come up with a single, comprehensive law that is created by technologically savvy people and actually work in the _real_ world not within the confines of "Disneyland on the Potomac". Maybe then we would have something workable and that covers the bases rather than all these half-a$$ed attempts to place a finger in the dyke.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I wouldn't worry too much. Eventualy they will run out of fingers to plug the dyke. Then they will have to accept that the situation is beyond their control and they need to get in people who understand the things they are making laws about.
    Hopefully they will eventualy make it so you at least need some formal education (a degree would be nice) in an area before you can regulate it. Then we might start getting some worthwhile laws that actualy combat modern problems. Untill then though, we have to make do.
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

Yeah,

I'm very amused when I hear senators eating lunch while discussing the specifics of things like this. If you ever want a good fing laugh, just shoulder surf at any local DC restuarant.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

What is worse is that anyone running up against tech laws will find out quickly that the lack of understanding never benefits the accused. Punishment also tends to be on the extreme side due to the same ignorance throughout the lawmaking and judicial systems. I used to think this stuff would go away with tech knowledge penetrated into the masses but we don't seem to have reached that point yet and at the cost of a lot of smart people.

It least I can still read a article a week refering to "lmao" and "lol" as leetspeak

This thing has been in the rumor mill for months. And is a DIRECT result of the California law in my opinion. Also across this great heartland, of our beloved USA, many states have similar issues in their own houses. Part of me says if all the states are moving to it then perhaps a federal law that will "guide" them is in order. But on the other side, states can still make the law more stringent. For instance the law would state that a major breach would be 10,000 records and that must be reported to the FBI and Secret service. A state could make it 5000 to report to some state agency. I have one thing to say.....

Graham Leach Bliley passed by Billy in 1998!!! BSA, Patriot Act and all your other reporting BS laws. Stop making more laws that basically say the same thing and when you do come up with some new idea heres and IDEA, se what the states do with it. So get another Big Mac, sleeping pill, slutly prostitute and GO home. Do something USEFUL.

Disneyland on the Potomac. Lol that is great. Kennedy likes the roller coasters. He thinks it's called Candy Land though.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

It must be a nightmare for admins. Can't say I ever admin'ed a database. What are you up against? More patches, more logging? Just curious.

I've been up on the Hill. Disneyland on the Potomac? Not exactly. Some of those cats are heavy dudes. They don't eff around.

The bill is perfect. They'll be able to grind out the sausage...er...administrative regs...for years.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Actually horsey, I like the idea of restricting the loose and uncontrolled use of SSN numbers. However the privacy act of 1978 does that... along with Fair Credit Reporting, HIPPA and a host of others. I would have to see what this bill would introduce that is different? It's like gun laws... enforce the ones you already have.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

It's like gun laws... enforce the ones you already have.
    My point exactly.

--Th13