Thread: 8 layers of the OSI Model?

8 layers of the OSI Model?

Hey all,

Just a funny thought here. If you have been in the networking field for more then a few months you may already know that there are 7 layers to the OSI model.

7- Application
    6 - Presentation
    5 - Session
    4 - Transport
    3 - Network
    2 - Data Link
    1 - Physical

I often refer to these in my head while troubleshooting network and application problems.

I propose that they make a 8th layer called:

8 - Human

Since it seems that most problems actually occur at layer 8!!! Any support on this? Can we make it a new standard?

That way we can be politically correct and call the problems we find Layer 8 problems instead of Id10t errors..lol
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Hmmm...there is also a layer 9...politics...

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

haha , true I did not really think of that one, but I guess its true :-)
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

I'd think layer 8's incorporated into all the 7 layers...and as a result.....

Cheers.

I have always heard of the 8th layer as the way Nebulus had refered to it... the political layer
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Originally posted here by Spyrus
    I have always heard of the 8th layer as the way Nebulus had refered to it... the political layer
    *snicker* Our group has always referred to it as layer 9 with layer 8 being *adjectives deleted* users but hey
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Always thought of the 8th layer as the "management" layer myself. The layer where most communications problems or disruptions exist. However the suggestion of politics sounds reasonable. How about the 8th layer being defined as politics with sublayers of management and users (also worthy of a communications layer I think)

The 7 layer model has often been extended in a humorous manner, to refer to non-technical issues or problems. A common joke is the 10 layer model, with layers 8, 9, and 10 being the "user," "financial," and "political" layers. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
    -

Talking

I like that the 9th one.. politics :0)
    (-:IF U R A HACKER TRY TO BE ON POINT,IT SAVES TIME:-)