Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "the" bigges problem w/ FF I have (and will stop using it 'cause of ..)

Banned

"the" bigges problem w/ FF I have (and will stop using it 'cause of ..)

This issue has been persistent over many different installations and systems and usually happens during multi-tab/ heavy surfing. Basically what happens is that the browser freezes and you are unable to move from the page. The little circle thingy keeps rotating as if it’s still loading the page. The problem it’s stuck on one page and you cannot move, either by going via a URL in the page itself or one of your bookmarks. You also cannot stop the circle thingy from rotating by clicking on ‘STOP’ The browser is STUCK.

The funny thing is that you can actually use everything else on the system and you can Alt-F4 the Firefox or close it by clicking on ‘x’. I don’t remember if you can close individual tabs or not. Another problem is that if you close the browser in this way (while stuck), if you try to reopen it, it will ask you to create a different user profile because an instance of firefox is already running (you can see it in ‘task-manager’. (therefore it didn’t really close)

Any ideas what this **** is and how can I fix it. It happens on some systems more then others but it happens on all systems I use.

PS: Yes it the latest version.

Hmmmm,

I have had problems with .pdf files.

Could it be that you have some corrupt or incompatible extensions?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...5800132&pgno=1

Must be some extensions/software you have loaded, I have used firefox since its release and on numerous different PC's, and don't ever remember encountering this problem myself.
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

Banned
    i have weather extension and flashblock extension

Try uninstalling them, then if that solves the problem install one, test again then install the other.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'll agree here... Multiple installs on multiple systems and OS's. No extensions or plugins except maybe a couple of video ones and Adobe.

It's a memory hog and it seems to leak it. Close the app and open your Taskmgr and, lo and behold, it's still running and using 100MB of RAM.

Ok, so it's worse than NT4 in the way you have to keep killing it and restarting it. But when it is behaving it is more secure and nicer than IE. So I'll keep using it...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    i heard about a browser based on mozilla that is named after a lizard does anyone know what's it called?

edit

named after some kind of small lizard ... not "mozilla" itself (if you count gozilla as a lizard)

"Gecko"? but I think that is just the name of the engine.

Banned
    this is what i ment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Meleon

i guess it's not named after lizard but it has chameleon in the logo

i found it based on "gecko engine" query so thanx nihil

Banned
    just an update ... i am testing different browsers based on wikipedia entry

so far i love "dr orca"